About the job
The Role: US Congress and Policy, Energy Transition Metals
S&P Global Market Intelligence is seeking an enterprising journalist to cover Congress and federal government as it relates to energy transition metals policy. The reporter will learn the ins and outs of the federal government as they button-hole members of Congress, attend speeches by the Secretary of Energy, and analyze new rules from the Department of Interior. The position demands a creative individual and fast-learner with an eye for an unexplored trend or an overlooked quote from a key policymaker.
The Location: Washington, DC
Please note: This position is limited to persons with the indefinite right to work in the United States
Grade (relevant for internal applicants only): G8
The Team: This position will be responsible for covering U.S. federal and trade policy with a focus on the metals and mining industries. That will mean tracking Department of Interior mining-related policy, relevant bills moving through Congress, and trade agencies.
The Impact: Our real-time, subscription-based news service reaches an influential readership that includes natural gas production and transportation companies, utilities, environmental groups, policymakers as well as many leading financial players.
What’s In It For You
- Sharpen your analytical skills through the use of our extensive database and enrich your ability to deliver high-quality news.
- Learn about the market dynamics of a meaningful commodity for the U.S.
- Increase your responsibilities, including reporting, mentoring and editorial leadership.
- Build a robust network of industry and professional contacts.
- Be part of a team that has a deep knowledge and passion about the industry sectors it covers.
- Enjoy a casual working environment.
Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only)
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $42.2 – $87.6k. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan. This role is not eligible for additional compensation such as an annual incentive bonus or sales commission plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires.
- Write feature-length and long-form stories backed with our proprietary data.
- Establish relationships with sources, analysts and industry authorities.
- Cover conference calls with company executives.
- Attend conferences and events.
What We’re Looking For
- 2-3 years either covering U.S. federal policy or the metals and mining business, and an enthusiastic willingness to learn the other. The ideal candidate has done both.
- Demonstrated ability to use data (i.e. spreadsheets, tables, graphs) to inspire and support news stories
- The ability to write clearly and on deadline
- A demonstrated ability to come up with original stories within a policy or industry space
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate as part of a reporting team and on stories with fellow reporters. Bonus points if the collaborations show a willingness to work across beats.
- Strong writing and reporting skills, along with excellent news judgment
- Experience operating in a real-time news environment
- Experience with breaking news coverage
- Experience with feature writing
- Ability to work independently
- S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.
Equal Opportunity Employer
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: [email protected] and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
US Candidates Only
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
203 – Entry Professional (EEO Job Group) (inactive), 20 – Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), EDTGRP203 – Entry Professional (EEO Job Group)
Job ID: 267900
Posted On: 2022-02-08
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States