Full Job Description
OPB is a leader in public media, serving diverse communities of the Northwest with fact-based, in-depth news and information about politics, the environment, science, arts, history, and cultures; business, education and more. Powered by the generous support of members, OPB seeks out a variety of voices in our communities and lifts up authentic stories of the people, places, events and issues of the region, providing context and a deeper understanding. OPB’s independent journalism and programs are available at opb.org, on OPB Radio and OPB TV. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
Are you interested in working collaboratively with OPB’s content units to deploy a cohesive rollout of engaging stories across our digital platforms? Does working with a team of digital producers to creatively develop novel approaches to amplify OPB’s voice in our region intrigue you? Do you thrive operating in a fast-paced environment with sense of urgency while also not forgetting the small details required for successful planning implementation? OPB is hiring a digital planning editor that might be of interest to you!
In this role, you will oversee digital operations by collaborating with content units including News, Think Out Loud®, Science and Environment and Arts & Culture to proactively ensure OPB delivers quality stories across our digital platforms. This role will also be responsible for leading half of our digital producers guiding their work and supporting the balance of producing and creating original content. Our digital portfolio currently includes on-demand, streaming, newsletters like First Look, opb.org, and social media platforms Facebook and Instagram with a mobile app on the horizon.
The digital team is growing! In the past year, we’ve added new positions including a digital photo editor, another digital producer and now this position. The Digital Planning Editor will manage three digital producers and reports to the Director of Digital Strategy and Community Engagement. This is an exciting time to join the team to help inform and establish a workflow that aligns with team and department goals. Your stellar editorial judgement, collaborative nature and fresh perspective would be a welcome addition to the team!
The Digital Planning Editor oversees daily digital operations with an organizational priority to increase and broaden audience reach and engagement across OPB’s digital distribution channels. The Digital Planning Editor works with the digital team on creating digital-first content. The Digital Planning Editor also collaborates closely with the editorial leads for our News, Science & Environment and Arts & Culture teams to create effective digital versions of their work in order to maximize OPB’s impact across distribution platforms. The Digital Planning Editor leads the effort to implement digital content planning and broad adoption of ARC, the OPB content management system, by all content units.
This position plans, assigns and approves work; responds to grievances, disciplines and rewards; recommends hiring; hires; recommends salary adjustments; prepares and signs performance reviews for three employees; and leads project teams.
- Monitor daily news events, plan and oversee digital coverage
- Ensure OPB.org and OPB’s digital distribution platforms offer users the most engaging and timely information available and reflects the communities represented throughout our region.
- Communicate with digital producers, content editors and newscast announcers and anchors about the latest breaking news and story priorities that guarantees our journalism is showcased in the most impactful way.
- Incorporate results of data analysis into editorial planning
- Collaborate with peers across content verticals including News, Science and Environment, Arts and Culture and Think Out Loud® and KMHD daily to suggest, plan for and ensure a variety of stories are strategically shared across our digital platforms.
- Write, copy edit and post stories as needed that reflect OPB’s commitment to cover a diverse range of people and perspectives in the communities within our coverage area.
- Oversee training and adoption of Arc, OPB’s content management system. Stay current on development of new features and incorporate best practices into daily workflow.
- Supervision of daily digital producers
- Lead and supervise a team of daily digital producers that fosters an environment of belonging and where diverse backgrounds, experiences, ideas and work styles are valued.
- Manage schedules to increase available time for digital producers to create original content
- Support the growth and development of direct reports offering coaching, recognition, and feedback to optimize performance and employee engagement.
- Keep team informed and aligned with department and organization strategies.
- Participate in the planning of projects involving multiple production units
- Encourage the development of and participation in photography and digital production skills training opportunities for the digital team and production colleagues
- Other duties, as assigned.
Most work is done in an office at a computer. Work schedule will be determined by OPB business needs, primarily Monday through Friday during business hours. Currently OPB digital producers divide shifts from 6am-7pm seven days/week. The Digital Planning Editor will directly supervise three of the daily digital producers.
During COVID-19, all will work is performed remotely using equipment provided by OPB.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Five years of experience in professional digital journalism
- Experience managing teams responsible for digital content production
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment
- Demonstrated ability to balance urgency and depth in story selection and website presentation
- Keen sense of how to improve people’s work and support them to do their best
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to incorporate broad strategic goals into daily operations
- Knowledge of evolving online news distribution platforms
- Experience in producing coverage reflecting a diverse range of people and perspectives in the content
- A passion for journalism and enthusiasm for the mission of OPB
Bilingual in English and another language, preferably one spoken in communities in the Pacific Northwest (for example, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese and Russian).
A voracious news consumer with knowledge of major stories and issues in the Northwest.
This position reports to Director of Digital Strategy & Community Engagement and the hiring range for this exempt position is between $75,000 and $85,000 annually, depending on qualifications.
How to Apply
Click on the apply button below. You will be asked to create an account, upload your cover letter and resume and answer a few position related questions. Once you click “submit” you cannot make changes to your application.
Your application materials are due by 8:59 PM Pacific Time on March 19, 2021.