Full Job Description
This position is responsible for selecting, researching, writing and gathering sports newscast content stories for live radio broadcasts, presenting live or recorded sports reports. This position is also responsible for generating, writing, and editing sports stories for broadcast, as well as the station’s website and social media platforms. This position requires availability nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Anchor and produce sportscasts according to schedule.
- Edit, write and post daily content for on-air and web.
- Report live and/or on tape as assigned.
- Occasional live on site reporting or anchoring
- Daily social media engagement as directed by management.
- Exhibit enterprise reporting through the origination and development of relevant, timely news sports stories.
- Works well in a collaborative, team environment and to develop good internal and external relationships including vendors and consultants.
- Break down complicated sports stories so that they are easy to understand.
- Assist news producers and all other news staff in producing sports reports and updates, writing, gathering information and organizing information as needed.
- Communicate frequently throughout a shift and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Respond and work well during breaking news. Handle last minute and unexpected changes. Communicate quickly and clearly to necessary staff.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours.
- Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- Knowledge of Washington DC region sports teams, players and historical moments in Washington DC sports.
- Must be able to work quickly and accurately, including audio editing, writing to audio, and social media abilities.
- 2-3 years professional on-air broadcasting experience (radio or television preferred)
- Must be able to work a variety of hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Exceptional communication skills, oral and written.
- Professional, consistent, on-air radio broadcast abilities.
- Abilities in critical thinking, quick and effective decision-making, live ad-libbing, social media posting, and maintaining performance under pressure and time parameters.
- Must have a strong understanding of how to construct and write a sportscast for radio broadcast.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work well with people while handling stressful situations.
- Good news judgment and thorough understanding of sports stories, sports news cycles and information.
- Must have excellent writing and research skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving history as determined by the Company. Driving record will be checked.
Hubbard DC, which includes WTOP and Federal News Network, is committed to reporting relevant news for our region. Through continuously evolving brands, we connect consumers with advertisers across a growing number of distribution platforms including radio, podcasts, social media, and websites. We do this with a commitment to our community…while growing our people and profits. OUR VISION To be an industry leader and set the standard for equality and inclusivity for all races, genders, ages, ethnicities, abilities, sexual orientations and religions by creating and fostering principles that integrate our core values. OUR MISSION To be proactive in providing a welcoming, professional environment; free of harassment, discrimination and marginalization with on-going habits that incorporate our unique experiences into the overall success and continuous evolution of this organization.