About the job
Director of Athletic Media Relations
Director of Athletics
At, Rhodes College, we aspire to graduate students with a life-long passion for learning, a compassion for others, and the ability to translate academic study and personal concern into effective leadership and action in their communities and the world. We will achieve our aspiration through a college-wide commitment to our vision.
Rhodes’ rigorous approach to liberal arts and sciences inspires students to discover and cultivate lifelong passions, and to make a difference in the classroom, on campus, in the city of Memphis, and throughout the world. Simply put, our mission is to prepare students for life and career, wherever those journeys take them.
The Director of Athletic Media Relations works closely with the Director of Communications and staff collaborating on strategic communications initiatives of the college, media stories, social media, content development, website development, and other related activities. The primary goal is to align the stories and content related to the student-athlete experience with the broader message of the college. This position is responsible for all aspects of media and sports information relating to the college’s twenty-four intercollegiate sports. Serve as the primary information resource for all media relations efforts.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Meet regularly and collaborate with the Rhodes Director of Communications to establish consistent and efficient processes for developing and distributing content that promotes Rhodes athletics and the college’s student-athletes.
- Serve as the primary information resource for all media relations efforts. Build relationships with all appropriate reporters in an effort to promote coverage of Rhodes athletic teams and student-athletes. Prepare media releases to communicate with internal and external constituents about the college’s athletics program and teams.
- Oversee production of media guides, publications and game-day materials for all sports.
- Hire, train and schedule student employees to oversee the various game management functions required for each sporting event, such as public address announcer, music, scoreboard, livestats, live streaming video, and other functions.
- Develop and oversee the maintenance of all aspects of the athletics website and all social media accounts that promotes Rhodes Athletics.
- Submit nominations for the conference, regional and national athletic awards.
- Provide research and support for the Athletic Hall of Fame process.
- Take – or assign staff to take – photographs when necessary.
- Maintain intercollegiate contests statistics; complete and send files to the Southern Athletic Association, NCAA and pertinent media outlets.
- Regular attendance is an essential function to perform the duties of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree required: preferably with major course work in sports information, communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and must be insurable by the College’s insurance carrier.
- Experience in sports information or sports journalism, including extensive experience in athletic website maintenance is required; two years preferred.
- Must communicate effectively with all types of people, and establish and maintain a strong working relationship with students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff and other college personnel.
- Must have the ability to work responsibly with minimal supervision.
- The ability to relate well to the public is a must.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.
A complete application includes a cover letter and a resume.
Rhodes offers an excellent benefits package and a great working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workforce.