Full Job Description
Are you an experienced communicator with passion for space exploration?
Do you enjoy communicating space research and discoveries?
Are you an organized deadline-driven individual who enjoys a variety of communication-oriented work? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team.
The Space Public Affairs Officer will join our Public Affairs team and focus on communications efforts for missions and programs APL leads or manages for NASA. This Public Affairs Officer will also write about, direct creative collateral (such as videos) covering, and externally amplify the innovative research enabling the Laboratory to tackle some of the country’s toughest technological space exploration challenges.
As a Space Public Affairs Officer…
- You will lead or coordinate on communications plans for APL space missions to include, but not limited to, media relations, content creation, web and social media engagement and planning/coordination with NASA as well as partner organizations.
- You will engage external audiences with compelling content that focuses on the Laboratory’s contributions to space exploration and its technological breakthroughs, along with other APL work.
- You will regularly contributing to the Lab’s internal, biweekly staff newsletter and its external news presence.
- You will support strategic communications planning and rollouts, along with other Laboratory communications campaigns.
- You will work with other APL departments to ensure consistency in messaging to internal and external audiences.
- You will follow and uphold editorial guidelines.
- You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have…
- A Bachelors degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in public or governmental affairs, communications or other similar roles required.
- Strong writing and communications skills, including experience developing and executing communications plans, writing news stories, blogs, and/or technical or scientific articles.
- Experience engaging the media, securing media placements and coordinating media opportunities.
- An ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a diverse team.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, organization and follow-through.
- Ability to work on deadline, set priorities and work independently.
- Strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively.
- Able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have…
- Prior experience working as a public affairs officer on space programs.
- Proficiency in AP style.
- Experience working across multiple levels of an organization.
- Experience producing videos or writing scripts.
- A Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact [email protected] Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.