Full Job Description
We help the world see new possibilities and inspire change for better tomorrow. Our analytic solutions bridge content, data, and analytics to help businesses, people, and society become stronger, more resilient, and sustainable.
About the Role
Verisk develops catastrophe models that help insurance companies and other organizations prepare for the financial impacts of natural and man-made catastrophic events before they occur. Our Model Documentation Team produces content that clients use to understand our models – how they work, the science used to develop them, and how to interpret the financial data they produce.
As a Senior Science Technical Writer on the Model Documentation Team, you will create new and update existing documentation for external client and internal use.
- Plan and manage the model documentation process
- In collaboration with researchers, product engineers, and client-service representatives, write and update technical documentation that describes and interprets complex scientific and engineering concepts as well as the statistical methods used to simulate natural and man-made catastrophic events
- Produce documentation that describes the impact of model updates on insurers’ potential losses
- Review and edit documentation for structural consistency, technical accuracy, clarity, readability, grammar, and spelling to ensure that documentation meets company standards
- Quality-control model output data and statistics for completeness
- Write in DITA using Oxygen XML Author
- Edit manuscripts provided by scientists and engineers
About You and How You Can Excel in this Role
- 2-5 years of experience in science writing/technical documentation
- Ability to translate highly technical material into language that is accessible to a broad audience
- Detail-oriented, with exceptional structuring, writing, editing, proof-reading, and verbal skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing multiple concurrent projects with changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Experience in writing and editing long, complex documents, creating a project timeline, and coordinating reviews from multiple internal stakeholders
- Ability to interview technical staff to obtain information
- Familiarity with DITA, XML, and a source control system preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel, including basic chart plotting and table manipulation
- Familiarity with probability and statistics is a plus
- ESRI ArcMap (ArcGIS) and/or ArcGIS Pro skills are a plus
- Ability to work in a multinational environment across multiple time zones
- Enthusiastic and resourceful
- Curious mind and an affinity for learning
Education and training
Degree in Meteorology, Geology, Engineering, or Mathematics, or a degree in English, Journalism, Technical and/or Professional Writing, with physical science coursework and/or science writing experience. An advanced degree is a plus.
If considered, the applicant must complete a short writing assessment exercise.
Extreme event solutions at Verisk (formerly AIR Worldwide) provides risk modeling solutions that help individuals, businesses, and society become more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, Verisk founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, supply chain disruptions, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber incidents. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on Verisk’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, longevity modeling, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. Verisk’s extreme event solutions team is headquartered in Boston, with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, please visit www.air-worldwide.com. For more information about Verisk, a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services, please visit www.verisk.com.
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice
Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for this position will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.