About the job
Working with some of the brightest scientific minds in topics as varied as molecular biology, oncology and infectious disease, the Senior Science Writer collaborates with senior leadership and major gift officers to create high quality fundraising proposals, stewardship reports, case statements, promotional literature, featured articles and other development communication materials as needed. The ideal candidate has a passion for translating deep science into elegant writing that spurs action, and wants to be part of a tightknit team committed to helping improve children’s healthcare. The Senior Science Writer is a creative, articulate and adaptable professional who successfully executes multiple projects on deadline. They are proactive, taking responsibility for helping senior development officers identify and define communications needs.
This Senior Science Writer Will Be Responsible For
- Determining the most effective vehicles for meeting specific fundraising communications needs and overseeing their production, in collaboration with senior development, medical and research staffs.
- Writing and producing fundraising proposals, concept papers and stewardship reports. Creating brochures and promotional literature as appropriate.
- Developing event collateral, including PowerPoint presentations, invitations, speaker bios, speaking points, and follow-up letters as needed.
- Overseeing freelance writers, designers and photographers in the production of donor communications and collateral.
- Assisting with other projects as needed or assigned by manager.
To qualify, you must have:
- The knowledge of theories, principles, and concepts typically acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in communications or in a closely related field and 8 to 10 years of experience in science and medical writing (or equivalent experience in directly related work).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and written communication skills in relating to management, development, and medical staff as well as to donors.
- Work requires collaboration, consistent attention to detail, high level of productivity, and ability to juggle multiple projects at one time.
- Work requires a solution-oriented performer who can be responsive to both staff and donor issues.
- Strong technical skills in generic software programs (PowerPoint, Word and Excel).
- Please submit a cover letter with your application.