This recruitment will be used to fill one full-time Science Writer position for the College of Science at Oregon State University (OSU).
- The College of Science Communications and Marketing’s mission is to build a positive image for the College both internally and externally. These efforts encompass the following objectives: a) increase awareness and credibility b) create interest for the College as a premier resource for scientific research and education in Oregon, in the country and around the world c) advance inclusive excellence in all aspects of the College of Science.
- The Science Writer produces science content that translates research originating from the College in accordance with these strategic priorities. In close collaboration with faculty, they create communications that distill complex scientific information into compelling language and formats appropriate for all stakeholder audiences — alumni, donors, industry partners, government entities, and prospective high-achieving and underrepresented students.
- Using traditional marketing and communication tools as well as emerging digital media technologies, this position conducts research, writes and produces compelling content for the college’s website, blog, donor communications, alumni publications and student recruitment publications, college brochures, program fact sheets, advertising, etc. Potentially, the Science Writer’s content produced would be in visual formats of photography and/or video.
- The Science Writer reports to the director of marketing and communications and is a member of the marketing and communications group, which is responsible for developing and implementing the college’s brand messaging and strategic marketing priorities. The position is part of a fast-paced, hands-on team that helps move the college’s stakeholders toward stronger relationships (i.e., opinion, perception and affinity) with the college.
- The Science Writer develops relationships with faculty in order to identify and investigate story leads, collaborates with faculty and conducts interviews to understand the interviewees’ areas of expertise and the societal impact of their research, and tells clear and engaging stories.
- The Science Writer contributes content for all communication channels, including web content, digital communications, social media, alumni magazines, news releases, website feature stories, donor communications and strategic documents. They also assist in producing copy for event collateral, advertisements, displays, and other marketing materials.
- The Science Writer participates actively in the process of editing and providing feedback on communications for the dean and members of the college leadership team drafted by others.
70% – Communication development and implementation
- In collaboration with the marketing and communications team, the Science Writer plans, researches, develops, and delivers written content – and potentially visual assets, such as photography and video – in a deadline-driven environment for outlets including but not limited to the college’s website, print biennial report, alumni magazines, monthly and bi-monthly electronic newsletters (internal and external), Impact online magazine stories, news releases, brochures, and other marketing-related collateral.
- Cultivates relationships with faculty for the purpose of understanding and communicating their research to external stakeholders.
- Collaborates with and interviews faculty to develop and produce compelling stories about their research.
- Embeds the diversity and inclusion ideals and goals of the college when producing content in alignment with the Diversity Action Plan.
- Researches and stays up-to-date with science research and related industry and higher education news.
- Contributes engaging prospective student-focused content for print materials and for paid and organic digital marketing campaigns aimed to increase enrollment.
15% – Editing
- Edits content produced by marketing and communications colleagues to ensure strategic messaging coherence, technical and factual accuracy, readability, style and adherence to brand and editorial guidelines.
- Provides editorial guidance and advice to other marketing and communications staff.
10% – Media Management
- Uses digital tools to promote online content, amplify news coverage to key audiences
- Contributes to social media messaging to promote written and multi-media content
- Initiate illustrating elements with design team members
- Provide editorial review of website
5% – Professional development and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or other relevant fields.
- Three (3) years of professional writing and editing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend scientific or technical information and complex ideas and turn them into clear and compelling stories that are appropriate for the target audience for the purpose of advancing the organization.
- Strong storytelling ability with the know-how to compose a narrative about discovery and write memorable stories that captivate and inspire the target audience.
- Demonstrated prior professional experience researching and writing news releases concisely, effectively, and persuasively in a variety of styles for specific audiences under significant time constraints.
- Advanced editorial skills, knowledge of current Associated Press style.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that has been translated into digital platforms such as websites and social media.
- Demonstrated tolerance for diverse ideas including those different from one’s own and a commitment to free inquiry based on evidence and criticism.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, use sound judgment in making decisions, balance multiple priorities, and communicate proactively with stakeholders about project risks or uncertainties.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrated success in cultivating relationships with research faculty and/or key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability, including a willingness to undertake both mundane and high-profile tasks.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
Master’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or science-related field.
Experience in photography and/or video.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Primarily a typical office environment, with standard working hours Monday through Friday.
The primary work location for this position is at Oregon State University campus in Corvallis, Oregon. Partial remote work may be established via OSU’s Remote Working Agreement.
On occasion, this position may require work outside of standard hours.
This position requires a clear and unambiguous commitment to compliance of all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations for Division I (FBS) universities. No
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Anticipated Appointment Begin Date
Anticipated Appointment End Date
Full Consideration Date
Indicate how you intend to recruit for this search
Competitive / External – open to ALL qualified applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
- A resume; and
- A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
- Other Documents:
- Please submit three writing samples on a separate document
- Please submit a link to photography or multimedia portfolio on the separate document (if available.)
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact: Tamara Cissna at [email protected]
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the university’s COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https://covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSU’s plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.