Full Job Description
WDKY in Lexington, Kentucky is looking for a full-time Reporter / MMJ. A reporter is asked to be a jack of all trades – be plugged into the community; gather & make sense of facts; shoot video; post on digital/social, be live. We understand it’s a lot because we’ve done it too, and we’re here to support you, so you can do your best work. We’re looking for reporters who love telling compelling, impactful stories for our viewers, and who are good teammates. Come be a part of a brand-new newsroom in Lexington, KY!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes were taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length, and format, and organizes material accordingly
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social, or other functions
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files, or public records to obtain relevant facts
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
- Shoots and edits news events and news reports
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum two years experience in news reporting (More or less depending on market size)
- Superior on-air presence
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines, and other office equipment
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Reporter must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. The Assignment Editor must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds.