About the job
About The Position
We are looking for a detail-oriented Committee Reporter with the ability to interpret and analyze legislative proposals and communicate them clearly in writing. The preferred candidate will have knowledge of Capitol Hill and the legislative process and be able to decipher legislative text to provide readers with clear and accurate descriptions of such proposals relating to a variety of issues to be debated in congressional committees. An ability to facilitate relationships with congressional staff and to work in a high-paced environment under tight deadlines is necessary. Strong writing skills are required.
About The CQ Roll Call Team
Washington’s CQ Roll Call brings up-to-date news, analysis and insights to senior decision-makers on Capitol Hill. This trusted source of unbiased, impartial information provides authoritative, nonpartisan and accurate congressional news and legislative tracking tools to its subscribers. Through more than 40 print and online products, CQ Roll Call offers insight on the people and institutions that influence public policy and legislation, keeping readers updated on a weekly, daily and real-time basis with coverage of every legislative action in Congress via breaking news, bill tracking, and member profiles.
What To Expect In This Position
- Write detailed news stories on congressional committee actions on deadline. Provide detailed and informative analysis of congressional committee actions. Interpret complex congressional amendments, legislation, and procedural actions.
- Cultivate relationships with congressional sources and help colleagues do the same.
- Pitch news stories and maintain a calendar of key dates and events in assigned coverage areas.
- Backstop and/or collaborate with team members and others in the newsroom on committee markup coverage.
- Perform other duties as assigned, and be a team player.
What Sets You Apart
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years of reporting within an editorial team of a newspaper or a similar publication or congressional experience.
- Strong interest in policy, politics and/or procedure.
- Extensive research, interviewing and writing skills.
- Ability to write objectively about legislative proposals.
- Open to accepting constructive criticism and providing feedback.
- Experience using social media to promote content, develop sources and interview subjects.
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work schedule, including some extended work hours to meet strict deadlines.
- Reference ID
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on the opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
About Reporting At CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve as an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
If your background and experience align with the competencies above, we encourage you to apply so that we can review your experience and learn more about how you can add to FiscalNote’s growth and success.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.