About the job
In this new role, we’re looking for a dynamic team player, an experienced reporter that lives and breathes breaking and trending news. A critical role within the new Shutterstock Newsroom that will work collaboratively with our Newsroom and larger Editorial team to be first to break a story and to package that story from start to end for our customers. You are someone who is results driven and thrives in an innovative high-energy environment. As Shutterstock Newsroom Reporter, the role will report into the Director, Editorial Content.
What You’ll Do
- “Trawl” Social media, identify what is trending
- Acquire/Onboard content from social media. Preferably use buy-out fund to secure wholly-owned content.
- Ongoing research and Intel on up and coming celebrities/Influencers
- Research family background, old yearbook pictures. Interview old friends to secure exclusive story angles.
- Real-time communication with Editorial team; updating team with possible stories/news to assign to our photographers and videographers
- Following analysis of all angles and thorough research of a story, assemble findings into a newsworthy story, inclusive of images, obtained through sources or Shutterstock Editorial Archive
- Be reactive, but a main focus on being the team to break the story, always keeping an eye on trending topics/stories before the story breaks
- Fact-checking; it is imperative that the information being reported on is checked, work with legal when necessary
- Partner with Assignment team to know various celebrity locations, aligning with events/assignments diary
- When traveling to capture a story, take time to research area for additional content/stories maximizing costs associated
- Investigative journalism; track down local sources, comb through records to ensure we own the story from start to finish
- Outside of the box news/feature ideas; especially around yearly anniversary dates
What You’ll Bring
- Hands-On: You should love rolling up your sleeves and working alongside the team.
- Domain expertise and passionate enthusiasm for entertainment and celebrity media.
- Extensive rolodex of existing relationships/sources and easy alliance with publishers, other journalists, editors, photographers, videographers and event planners.
- Strong bias for action; ability to manage multiple (and competing) priorities and deadlines while operating in a lean work environment.
- Easy ability to discern and train others on quality content and market value.
- 10+ years of Journalism/Reporter experience
- Passionate enthusiasm for entertainment and celebrity media
- Engaging personality with exceptional communication, networking and persuasion skills.
- Available to work non-traditional schedules including evenings and weekends
- Software: Adobe, Excel, Google Docs, and file-sharing systems. Camera equipment.
- B.S., B.A., A.S.
- Travel: 25%
We are one team collectively focused on creating an unrivaled experience for our Customers and Contributors. Our principles represent the mindset of the employee who will thrive at Shutterstock. If you are passionate about what you do, and want to become part of a cutting-edge technology company building industry leading products, please apply.