Full Job Description
The position combines a seat on the editorial board with the role of a news editor to shape Newsday Opinion’s views on the issues of the day.
Essential Duties & Functions
- On a daily basis, the editor participates in the daily editorial board meetings; edits copy for The Point, our daily newsletter, the unsigned editorials as well as staff and syndicated columns; develops reader ideas for the weekly Expressway feature; and approves the daily letter-to-the-editor submissions.
- Assigns and edits commentary that is persuasive, engaging and thoughtful by writers with deep understanding of their subjects, and he or she ensures that topics represent a myriad of points of view.
- Ensures the proofing of print pages, reviews podcast scripts, and can conceptualize video and visual presentations.
- The editor will be part of our nextLI project, which requires developing cogent views on how the next iteration of opinion journalism is informed by its audience.
- A high value will be placed on the ability to incorporate audience metrics into Newsday Opinion’s decision-making process.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills ACT Hermes
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, classics, philosophy, history, comparative literature, journalism, political science or related.
- A minimum of 6 years of editing and reporting experience with demonstrated copy-editing skills.
- Must be familiar with Long Island’s political and governing history and have a comprehensive view of the region’s pressing issues.
- Requires proficient and versatile editing skills, including fact checking, familiarity with data analysis as well as headline and caption writing
- Must be an editor with a curious mind and a strong, informed point of view.
- Keen critical thinking skills are required
- Values the collaborative process and the intimacy of a small team.
- Must be experienced in the ways Newsday’s Opinion content is distributed, both in word and image.
- Requires a vision for expanding and enhancing what Newsday Opinion does.
- Fluency with how laws and policies shape our lives and how Newsday Opinion gives voice to the needs of the communities it serves.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to travel to various locations across Long Island for research and meet with community leaders
- Must possess a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, evenings and holidays as needed to support the business.
- Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintain a drug-free and smoke- free workplace.