Full Job Description
About the Organization:
Tides Advocacy envisions a world of shared prosperity and social justice founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. The Advocacy Fund creates winning conditions for progressive policies reflecting our vision of the world.
Tides Advocacy has over 85 partners who represent activists, donors, movement leaders, lawyers, researchers, and journalists who are promoting equity, justice, and dignity for all. They are engaged in ballot, electoral, and legislative campaigns as well as public education and charitable activities.
From funder advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides Advocacy gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit tidesadvocacy.org. Tides Advocacy is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization. Tides Advocacy is an affiliate of Tides, a 501(c)(3) organization.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Executive Assistant provides executive support in tight partnership with the CEO and the executive leadership team. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external stakeholders on all matters pertaining to the Office of the CEO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the Tides Advocacy board of directors; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; leadership team logistics, and oversees special projects. This is an ideal opportunity for a successful and seasoned executive assistant. S/he should be energized by the delivery of rewarding work in a high-impact organization that strives to be a leader in social change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and monitor CEO commitments, goals, projects, tasks, and deadlines
- Ensure items are effectively delegated, reprioritized, or addressed, navigating conflicting demands and time pressure
- Maintain the CEO’s calendar; ensure time is allocated to the highest priorities
- Attend select meetings, take minutes, capture action items, and ensure follow-through
- Handle select matters expeditiously and proactively; follow through to successful completion
- Anticipate and address problems presented to the Office of the CEO
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO’s office and Board members, partners, staff, and others
- Ensure that all stakeholders experience professionalism and service excellence in all interactions with the Office of the CEO
- Draft and edit correspondence that is often sensitive and highly confidential
- Arrange complex and detailed meetings, travel plans, itineraries, and agendas
- Prepare and submit expense reports in a timely manner
- Support CEO-led recruiting; partner with Human Resources with the onboarding of new team members
- Support executive leadership team scheduling, meeting agendas, and notetaking, ensure timely follow
- Manage select Human Resources initiatives on behalf of the Office of the CEO as designated
- Support project management of strategic and operational initiatives
- Work with the Communications Manager and CEO on talking points and messaging for CEO presentations, interviews, and external communications
- Ensure consistent messaging across the CEO outgoing and internal communications; make recommendations for, and contribute to, operational efficiency, teamwork, organizational culture building
Board Liaison Duties:
- Coordinate preparation of all Board materials and transmit to the Board of Directors in a timely manner prior to all Board meetings
- Support CEO in quarterly Board of Directors presentations, Board culture-building, and governance protocols
- Schedule all Board meetings, secure offsite locations and support travel logistics as needed
- Field Board inquiries and matters, as appropriate, on behalf the CEO
- Research and prepare select reports and materials at the Board’s request
- Ensure compliance with bylaws; prepare minutes in a timely manner
- Help plan and facilitate townhalls and other group meetings, annual staff or Board retreats or strategy sessions, and professional development and DEI programs
- Engage cross-functionally to coordinate and project manage annual planning, fundraising, budgeting, dashboards, performance reviews, and other people processes aligned with our annual goals and policies
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Passion for and familiarity with the nonprofit sector and the Tides Advocacy mission
- Proven ability to use outstanding interpersonal, political navigation, and communication skills to build strong relationships and negotiate challenging situations, often with senior executives, in a friendly and professional manner
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with strong project management and organization skills; able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly
- Expert-level verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong independent decision-making capability
- Emotional maturity and emotional intelligence to navigate diverse work styles and personalities
- Resourceful and confident to ask questions when unsure or unable to answer; strong research skills
- Collaborative team-player with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Comfortable in a high performing, fast-paced and quickly growing organization; demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals, meet deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience supporting C-Level Executives
- Highly proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Zoom and other video conference technology
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.