Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a late-stage biotechnology company that promotes improved health globally through the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. Novavax recently initiated development of NVX-CoV2373, its vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and achieved positive Phase 1 clinical trial results. NanoFlu, its quadrivalent influenza nanoparticle vaccine, met all primary objectives in its pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial in older adults. Both vaccine candidates incorporate Novavax’ proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M adjuvant in order to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Novavax is a leading innovator of recombinant vaccines; its proprietary recombinant technology platform combines the power and speed of genetic engineering to efficiently produce highly immunogenic nanoparticles in order to address urgent global health needs.
We are seeking a highly motivated Director of Communications to lead communications activities to support our locations in Bohumil, Czech Republic and Uppsala, Sweden. The position will report to our Senior Director, Corporate Communications with dotted-line reporting to our VP of Internal Communications; both of these leaders are based in the United States.
Working as part of a cross-functional team, this individual will work in the region to build the company’s reputation as a leader in developing innovative vaccines among external stakeholders as well as manage internal communications for our rapidly growing Uppsala and Bohumil manufacturing facilities. Responsibilities include regional media relations, employee communications and event coordination. The successful candidate will partner with colleagues across functions in Europe and the U.S. to drive a positive perception of the company in support of business goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- In alignment with our global communications objectives, develop and execute a communications plan to reach stakeholders in the region. Components may includedevelopment of reginal messages and talking points; social content; and media materials, including regional press releases and other external company announcements
- Serve as the day-to-day contact in the region for media; respond to inquiries and manage local/regional interviews
- Liaise with regional partners as needed to coordinate joint announcements and events; plan strategically and engage with key journalists
- Maintain a strong understanding of regional issues and proactively develop strategies to position the Company appropriately
- Develop and maintain a solid understanding of our market, relevant scientific topics and business context
- Work compliantly within a highly regulated industry
- Ensure that all content for external use is reviewed and approved as needed
- Create briefing materials for executives and assist in preparation for impactful delivery of messages
- Support other aspects of communication, including logistics, reporting, etc., as needed
- Partner closely with U.S. communications team to coordinate on global initiatives, including employee communications
- Work closely with facility leaders to support local communications needs and convey relevant information to colleagues
- Support the planning and participation in corporate or partner events, as needed
- Help manage external PR agency
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism or biology
- Relevant 9+ years of communications experience, life science or biopharma experience and knowledge highly desired
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and Czech. Knowledge of Swedish is a plus but not required
- Experience interacting with lay, business and trade media; existing relationships are important
- Aptitude for industry content and ability to synthesize information in a meaningful and impactful manner
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in dynamic, fast-paced environment with time sensitivities and high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to design reports and presentations that increase the understanding of the material
- Must be able to foster effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Experience working with senior leaders and anticipating their needs
- Strong work ethic
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.