Questex is seeking a data journalist and social media editor for our rapidly expanding Life Sciences and Healthcare groups, which publishes Fierce Biotech, Fierce Pharma and Fierce Healthcare. The ideal candidate is a sharp and eager journalist and data hound ready to polish our web presence, beef up our data journalism and increase our social media engagement.
This individual can operate in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, communicate seamlessly with companies and colleagues spread out across the globe, and work with an experienced team of business journalists who pride themselves on providing breaking news and thorough analysis in a fresh, relatable way.
This position will be integral in fielding and advising on data reporting in the newsroom. We’re looking for someone with a commitment to editorial quality, a passion for social media and a proclivity for massaging and analyzing data—and the desire to have a little fun with what they do.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with editor in chief and senior editors across the group on website strategy, style, and processes.
- Develop and produce reports to mine reader insights and intents, track subject line performance, story traffic and reader mix.
- Add to and upgrade image library and optimize new images for SEO.
- Work with fellow editors to develop an updated social strategy. Lead efforts to execute that strategy. Manage Twitter and LinkedIn feeds and track analytics on those platforms. Develop regular Twitter chats.
- Work with graphics team to develop graph and chart templates. Design and produce graphs, charts and other data depictions for daily news and long-term features on the Fierce sites.
- Conceive and execute longer-term data projects.
- Monitor, improve and update home pages, section fronts and article pages for Fierce Biotech, Fierce Pharma and Fierce Healthcare. Maintain catalog of keywords and topics.
- Participate in teamwide special features, conference coverage and life sciences and healthcare events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 1 year experience (this includes internships) in online journalism
- Degree in journalism, communications, English or another writing-intensive major, preferably with graphics training, or marketing and data analytics background.
- Experience developing charts, graphs and other data visualizations.
- Strong writing and analytical skills and knowledge of AP style
- Good organizational skills and the ability to oversee projects from conception to delivery.
- Professional social media and SEO experience a plus.
- HTML and Google Analytics skills are also pluses.
- Most importantly, a positive attitude, “Fierce” work ethic and desire to work on a winning team. Our goal is to maintain our position as the leading resource for our professional readers each day
Come join our talented group of writers and editors who enjoy our work—and working together. We believe we’re fielding the best team we’ve ever had, and we want you to be a part of it.
All applications should include their resume and cover letter.
At Questex, you can make an impact by helping marketers and buyers connect more efficiently and effectively. Questex is a leading global events, media, and business information company, yet we are still a place where your voice is heard and your ideas are appreciated. So you can make an immediate difference in our success while advancing your career.
At Questex, we listen to each other and to our customers. And we have fun in a fast-paced, vibrant and supportive environment. We’re big on ideas, not on rigid processes, rules or org charts. We know that life can be unpredictable, so we’re flexible and adaptable to change.
At Questex, you will join a fast-growing company of bright and ambitious but easygoing people from a diversity of professions, experiences and backgrounds. We keep it real. Like to take the lead? Go for it! We encourage innovative thinking and action. Whether you like to create things, manage things or sell things, you can make your mark at Questex.
Questex celebrates the contributions of every member of our team by providing a dynamic and caring work environment, competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. With offices in New York, Washington, D.C., Framingham, MA, and around the globe, we are always on the lookout for talented people to join our team.