School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health . Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
The Communications Specialist (CS) will support communications projects and activities of the Center for Applied Genomics & Precision Medicine (CAGPM), the IGNITE program and the MEDx Initiative. Primary responsibilities will involve providing content development, and active maintenance for the Center websites, including working with the web development firm to implement feature improvements. In addition, the communications specialist will develop and implement effective communications strategies for both centers and Initiative that may include creation and distribution of an e-newsletter, promotional materials, and noteworthy news (via social media and partnership with the Duke Health and Duke University News Offices) for relevant target audiences.
Specific Work Performed
- Develop, edit, and format content for the center websites; work with web developer to implement design improvements for greater visualization of information and current functionality features for more effective utilization of the websites via various media platforms.
- Assist faculty and senior staff with expanding their web presence; maintain and refresh website content information continuously.
- Coordinate with faculty and staff in identifying recent publications, research awards and interesting news items to display prominently on the websites and e-newsletters as well as through social media; provide continual updates to current news and calendar events sections of the websites.
- Assist the CAGPM center science writer/help d raft content development of feature stories or faculty/staff profiles for display on the websites, newsletters, social media outlets or flat screen monitors throughout the centers.
- Assist faculty and staff in developing and editing materials including flyers, brochures, promotional documents, or other materials for the centers, associated core facilities or non-science audiences.
- Review and assess the google analytics data to inform relevant changes and improve usability and traffic to the websites.
- Develop a patient/public-facing web-page to engage patients in research and education about precision medicine.
- Re-design of the current patient-targeted page on the CAGPM and MEDx websites; 2) Regular updates of news items and research studies of interest; 3) Connect with social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter) and advertise new web-page; 4) Stay in regular content with panel participants (e.g., newsletter).
- Coordinate with web developer firm and DHTS to perform regular software updates, to fix software or coding glitches, and to assure weblinks are correct and active, including faculty profile links.
- Lead communications efforts to the continued development of a culture characterized by a commitment to diversity, professionalism, integrity.
- Identify, analyze, and collaborate on managing complex issues and developing strategies to ensure that accurate and timely messages are communicated within the Genomics community and IGNITE.
- Lead and collaborate with subject matter experts from across the University and IGNITE to anticipate and manage issues and events that could affect the program reputation.
- Secure media opportunities and appearances for Duke Representatives and faculty with IGNITE in a variety of outlets and formats including print, online, and new media formats.
- Develop and prepare reporting that helps our leadership teams increase their awareness of online communication and opportunities for engagement.
- Participate in the IGNITE committees, work groups and teams that improve genomic customer experiences and communications representing digital platforms.
- Lead the effort to compile and develop required data, accomplishments and statistics for the Genomic annual SOM reports.
- Supervise undergraduate students assigned to work with communications within CAGPM, MEDx and IGNITE.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Work requires communication and marketing skills normally acquired through a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Work generally requires on year related experience in advertising, marketing, media, promotions or public relations.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills are a must.
- Must be able to function well within a team structure but demonstrated ability to work independently
- Prior experience with Drupal CMS is desirable.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.