About the job
Senior Digital News Editor, EW.com
I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
- Be a part of helping define the next chapter at EW: The NY-based Senior Editor (News/General Assignment)is responsible for getting Entertainment Weekly’s (EW) news coverage started each morning on the East Coast, assigning and editing digital news stories.
- The Senior Editor supports the News Director in prioritizing, editing, and leading news coverage for the first two-thirds of their shift day, starting at 8am ET. During that time, they are responsible for assessing the importance of potential news stories and relevance to EW’s digital and social audiences, tracking closely the performance of news content, and working with the video, SEO, growth, and other teams to maximize ROI of digital resources.
- They are also responsible for overseeing the quality of the reporting and the writing of coverage to ensure that it aligns with brand standards.
- They may also be assigned to lead coverage for special events, awards shows, or other breaking news.
- This person would also collaborate with other editors on timely follow-up coverage and features.
- The Senior Editor manages a team of staffers, primarily those based in NY, supervises NY-based digital writers and editors, as well as coordinating any freelance contributors. contractors or freelancers who contribute news content.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Lead assignments of news coverage for approximately two-thirds of shift.
- Work with social, SEO, growth, and other teams to support coverage planning and strategy.
- Manage NY-based digital writers and editors
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or equivalent work experience
5-8 years of news experience, with at least 3 years in a digital role
Specific Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Impeccable news judgment, prioritization, writing, and editing skills
- Calm under pressure of breaking news
- A strong attention to detail with the ability to multitask
- A strategic thinker who considers traffic and social analytics before making an editorial decision
- An idea generator who can think of new, fresh ways to package content
Excellent people skills
Experience with SEO, CMS, Photoshop, and Google Analytics
Knowledge of EW brand
% Travel Required (Approximate): 0%
It is the policy of Meredith Operations Corporation (“Dotdash Meredith”, “the Company”) to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Company will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Accommodation requests can be made by emailing Meredith.Human.Resources@meredith.com.
The Company requires employees entering its workplaces or performing work offsite to verify and provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. This is a condition of employment unless an applicant is eligible, under applicable law, for a medical or religious accommodation, or as otherwise required under applicable law.
The Company participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees