Title: Science Writing Intern – Fall
Position Type: Paid Internship (3 months duration, start date September 14, 2020)
Location: Washington, DC
What AGU does and offers our team
AGU is home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Public Information Science Writing Intern, you will support a dynamic association of Earth and space scientists who advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our members exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
What the Public Information Science Writing Intern does
The Public Information Science Writing Intern works with other members of AGU’s public information team to identify newsworthy Earth and space science research papers published in AGU journals. The intern disseminates these new findings to the press and public by writing press releases, blog posts and social media content.
The intern also works with the public information team to identify newsworthy research presented at AGU’s Fall Meeting and helps publicizes this research by writing press releases, coordinating press conferences at the meeting, and creating social media content.
This work ensures AGU is perceived as a reliable, authoritative and valuable source of high-quality Earth and space science information and increases awareness and appreciation of the Earth and space sciences and their implications for society and the environment. By finding and publicizing the most newsworthy scientific research coming out in AGU journals and presented at AGU meetings, the intern will gain real-world experience working as a public information officer at a major scientific organization.
The public information science writing intern will have opportunities to:
* Learn how to identify newsworthy papers published in scientific journals
* Gain experience interviewing researchers and independent experts about scientific research
* Become skilled at writing succinct, accurate and compelling press releases and blog posts about scientific papers under tight deadlines
* Work with AGU publications staff and Public Information Officers at various institutions to coordinate publicity of AGU research
* Use and explore social media and multimedia to promote scientific research
* Work as part of a team with other press office staff to identify newsworthy scientific results presented at the AGU Fall Meeting
* Gain experience organizing press conferences about those results to take place at the AGU Fall Meeting
What the Public Information Science Writing Intern brings to the team
* A Bachelor’s degree in physical or life sciences or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
* Experience writing official science press releases issued by a public information office and/or stories about scientific research that were published in news media outlets
* It’s a plus, but not a requirement, to have experience with video and other multimedia, and with social media, and also to have interest and/or experience in helping scientists improve their communication skills
* Willingness to relocate to Washington D.C. area for the internship at own expense
For consideration, please submit your cover letter, resume and 3 clips to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Here are some of the values that guide AGU staff (see more at http://jobs.agu.org):
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing. We achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork, together we achieve more. We achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!