15. There are a total of 18.5 million podcast episodes on Apple.
In total, it is estimated that there are 29 million podcasts episodes currently available online.
According to iTunes Podcast Statistics, a massive 18.5 million of them reside with Apple.
16. Podcasts statistics show that podcasters have generated millions of dollars.
Podcasts are more than just a convenient information resource for listeners. They have also been proven to be excellent wealth-building sources for podcasters.
Some of the highest earners in the world, such as Joe Rogan, are commanding $30 million per year.
However, even a moderately successful podcast can generate the average podcaster a respectable $2000 – $3000 per month. The trick is to utilize advertising opportunities.
Here’s a look at 2019 and the top earning podcasts:
- The Joe Rogan Experience $30 million.
- My Favourite Murder $15 million.
- The Dave Ramsey Show $10 million.
17. Only around 17% of podcasters record videos along with their podcast.
Most podcasters tend not to record any video for their podcasts.
In addition, only 10% of podcasters broadcast live.
Not recording video lessens the impact of your podcast. Not recording live means you won’t cash in on live video popularity. If you doubt this, look at Facebook Live and the way it is dominating online video viewership.
Podcasts are designed by nature to be audio-based, as opposed to video. But podcast trends show that not recording video could actually be a missed opportunity.
With so many podcasts not having video, it would be wise to set yourself apart from the marketplace. It will also allow you to bolster more success in the less saturated video podcast market.
18. Advertisers are set to spend $500 million on podcast ads in 2020.
Podcast advertising statistics prove that advertisers are set to spend $500 million on podcast ads in 2020.
19. An average of 74% of podcasters wear headphones.
We often see podcasters wearing headphones.
Why is this?
Some of the best reasons to wear headphones are:
- It can be pleasant and useful to hear your voice in the headphones – headphones make your voice sound more authoritative, and can psychologically give you a boost of confidence, podcast facts show.
- Wearing headphones can help you understand how you sound.
With that being said one of the craziest facts is that only 74% of podcasters record with headphones. The rest choose not to monitor at all.
It would make sense to follow the example of the highest earning podcasts and wear headphones.
20. More people are listening to podcasts on Spotify, up to 46% more in total.
Spotify has increased monthly podcast listening in the US by an overall of 46%, podcast stats show.
The achievement marks a huge step for the company. Only a few years ago they faced an uphill climb when attempting to enter the podcast market, mainly because of their main competition of Apple.
Most experts predicted that Spotify would buckle.
But they didn’t.
Spotify podcast stats show that 46% of people in the 12-34 age bracket are listening to episodes. The number climbed – 39% in 2018. This huge increase in 2019 has provided Spotify with a great outlook for 2020.
21. Around 32% of Americans listen to podcasts regularly.
Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular. There is a daily rise in listeners!
Studies show consistent rises in stats across the board. They all point to the current and overall growth of podcasts.
Podcast popularity statistics highlight that 32% of Americans listen to podcasts at least once a month.
22. Almost 82% of people listen to podcasts from home.
With podcasts on the rise, statistics show that the majority of people listen from home (82%), while a good amount (52%) seem to like listening to episodes while driving around in their vehicles. And there is also a large percentage of listeners (41%) who enjoy listening to podcasts while walking around.
With Podcast growth statistics on the rise, the aforementioned methods are proving to be the most popular.
23. Almost 23% of Americans would have listened to a podcast in the last week.
Around 22% of people in the US (12 years and over) would have listened to a podcast in the last week.
This figure is nearly double than what it was in 2018!
Podcasts are not only rising in popularity but doing so very quickly.
Podcast listeners statistics show that the upward trend will continue well into 2025.
24. An average of 34% of listeners prefer episodes to last no longer than 40 minutes.
Podcasts last for a varying amount of time. After all, there’s a lot of competition.
Podcast length seems less important compared to content. However, the duration of a podcast can mean the difference between podcast audience statistics being positive or negative.
The sweet spot when it comes to duration has been estimated to be around 30 to 40 minutes. Anything less or more, and a podcaster risks losing listeners.
25. Social media brings in 43% of most listeners.
For most podcasts, listeners are the holy grail leading to success. This is because more listeners equals more of an audience. A bigger audience means a larger chance of your podcast being used by advertisers. This inevitably leads to profitability, Apple podcast analytics show.
With that said, let’s look at the most common avenues through which most podcasts gain their listeners.
Although this list is based on statistics, it is by no means exhaustive.
- Social media or online community – 43%
- Word of mouth – 23%
- Search podcast app’s directory – 16%
- Search on Google – 12%
- Browse through a podcast chart – 6%
Podcasts statistics clearly show that social media is an excellent avenue to gain podcast listeners.