About the job
Who are we?
Thesis, a digital agency in Portland, OR. We’re hell-bent on humanizing the relationship between people and brands, which starts with our teams: real people making real work.
Come as you are. Bring what you bring. We’ll all be better for it.
The name is new to us, but we’ve been around for 18 years. In contrast to our former identity that reflected what we do, we chose the name Thesis as it better represents how we do it: a full-service agency that believes our strength is in our approach — that the work we make is only as strong as the thought — and data — we put behind it.
We are looking for a seasoned UX writer who can breathe narrative life into online experiences for one of the world’s largest creative software companies. You should be excited about building the tools and frameworks people use to create beautiful, useful web pages and understand how to assess materials and ask the right questions to get there. Your writing style balances prose and purpose; you can write a guidebook people want to read and that feels easy and intuitive.
As a Senior Copywriter, you’ll communicate directly with the client to ensure that messaging is precise and their voice is clear. And you will support fellow writers in doing the same while collaborating with designers, developers, and account managers to create strong and effective projects.
You should care intensely about your work without conflating work ego with personal ego. While you’ll be working closely with clients, our agency’s integrated teams collaborate equally and share accountability, in success and failure alike.
Be prepared to let the best ideas rise to the top.
As a person, you are
- Driven by creativity, curiosity, and problem-solving
- A strong and approachable communicator
- Interested in how people learn things and how to organize information
- A wiz at tailoring communications to specific audiences
- Well versed in writing short- and long-form copy with clarity, nuance, and substance
- Alert to the difference between opinion and research-informed solutions
- Good at receiving and giving critical feedback in a constructive, open, and active way
- A self-starting worker who can lead projects, mentor others, and edit work as needed
- Highly skilled in English grammar, syntax, structure, etc.
- Allergic to lazy writing and jargon
- No bullshit; a lot of heart
As a worker, you will
- Write intelligent and thoughtful UX and instructional copy in the service of excellent user experience as well as solid creative guidelines for design and engineering teams
- Know how to recognize categories of information and how to pick up naming conventions and sharpen them
- Represent our department in briefings and potentially client meetings
- Set the bar for consistency in style, supreme quality, and on-point tone of voice
- Mentor other members of the Writing team, imparting knowledge and best practices to grow their skillset
- Find opportunity in creative constraints (sometimes-mad deadlines, incomplete briefs, odd client requests, etc.)
- Research unfamiliar topics to write as if you’re an expert on the subject
- Care about both the art and the function of each line you write
- Absorb extra work in a pinch, maintaining the bar, no matter the pace of play
- Collaborate with low ego
- Nail deadlines
- Ask — and answer — lots of questions
As for experience, you need
- Substantive writing portfolio demonstrating your written work for real-world clients (multimedia, technology, and/or software brands are a bonus)
- Experience creating brand guidelines or structuring websites OR similar work within teaching or research environment
- 5+ years of professional and project-based copywriting experience
- (or equivalent experience)
- BA in English, journalism, advertising, marketing, or related field of study
- (or equivalent experience)
- Demonstrated experience with the design process, critiques, and design thinking
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style
- Ideally, experience using or familiarity with Dropbox, Zeroheight, and Adobe XD.
Above all, be hungry to learn and grow beyond this job description.
Still with us?
Cool! Let’s talk.
Workplace equity is not a single checkbox.
It’s a vital way of thinking, of working, and of moving through the world. At Thesis, we prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion. You’ll see this in our hiring practices, growth plans, and workplace programs — because our agency, our work, and our society are better when diverse perspectives come together.
EEO / AA Employer / Vets / Disabled / Race / Ethnicity / Sex / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity / Age