About the job
KFTV Channel 21 in Fresno, CA, is seeking a Multimedia Jounalist (MMJ) to carry on the Univision mission of informing, educating, and empowering our Hispanic audience. The successful candidate should be proud of the commitment of serving our local community. As a VJ, you will cover news in the Fresno DMA, and will be responsible for generating story ideas, as well as making and maintaining contacts with community leaders, government officials, and local authorities. The VJ must present reports in a clear, concise, objective manner, as well as presenting enterprising stories and sweeps series ideas. The VJ must be a team player with solid news judgment and must be a “one-person band” to complete a story from beginning to end. Must be able to work independently with the camera, have the ability to write and edit own stories for TV and digital, and to interact with the viewers through all of Univision media platforms.
- Gather information, conduct interviews, shoot video, produce, report and edit assigned stories daily;
- Post video, pictures and stories to the website, Facebook and other social media outlets;
- Maintain strong familiarity with local, state, and national news and events across our coverage area;
- Establish and maintain news contacts in the community;
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that works well with co-workers, supervisors, and the community at large.
- Must have the ability to work independently while out in the field and under various weather elements;
- Assist with the formatting of content from Digital.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
Required Skills & Experience
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year newsroom experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Candidate must be completely fluent in English/Spanish, with superior written/spoken Spanish language skills
- Applicant must be able to use newsroom computer systems and applications (both hardware/software)
- High ethical and journalistic standards
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to drive and have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record
Desired Skills & Experience
- BA degree in communications, journalism, television broadcasting
- Candidate must have functional to advanced knowledge in the use of field cameras, gear and editing systems
- Candidate must be able to make sound decisions while working under extreme deadlines and must have the ability to follow directions and incorporate constructive criticism into work results
- Knowledge of iNews, video editing (such as Avid, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut), and file sharing systems
- Must be willing to work from the office in Fresno, CA
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- Must include link to demo reel
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, type, edit, reach and sit for up to (8) hours
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds for extended periods of time
- Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.