Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Computing Sciences Area has an opening for a Scientific/Technology Writer to join the team. In this exciting role, you will serve as a communications professional with experience communicating highly complex scientific and technical accomplishments to a broad audience and demonstrate a strategic and creative approach to communications using traditional and digital media. The Computing Sciences (CS) Communications Specialist will support the ongoing program to develop, deploy, and maintain modern, standards-based, customer-friendly, well-organized websites, social media posts and communications for the Energy Sciences Network’s (ESnet) internal and external audiences. Reporting to the CS Area, this position will work closely with ESnet leaders and staff to develop communication campaigns, articles, messages, web content, and other communication products for Lab employees. This position will also be responsible for helping develop and execute a communications plan and campaigns that directly address business challenges that are aided by technology.
What You Will Do:
- Plan, research, write, edit, prioritize, schedule, and assist in the distribution of messages, articles, summaries, talking points, web content, and other communication products, including presentation development and delivery, for an internal audience.
- Help develop and execute communications plans and campaigns that directly address and promote ESnet.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Computing Sciences Area Communications team to ensure that messages are aligned with the area mission.
- Define measurement approaches, conduct regular measurement of communications tool effectiveness based on contemporary best practices, and report these results.
- Effectively manage ongoing efforts to design and deploy supportable, clean, a well-maintained website including coordination with content owners, stakeholders, and web developers.
- Maintain and update content for ESnet’s website (WordPress, Google sites, Confluence, etc.).
- Review analytics and customer feedback, devising appropriate responses to further inform editorial content decisions, refine design and site navigation where needed and optimize the website.
- Develop an editorial calendar and process to ensure consistent communication with our stakeholders and staff throughout the year.
- Provide leadership in governance of ongoing development of website design and development.
What is Required:
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, corporate communications, English, or a technical/related field and 8 or more years of experience in technical and non-technical writing and/or editing in news/magazine/publications/online communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Advanced science or technical writing, editing, proofreading, interviewing, story research and concept development skills for clearly communicating highly complex scientific/technical accomplishments and computer hardware and software innovations to a range of audiences.
This is a full-time, 2 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.