About the job
This is a paid freelance, remote position — that means you can work from anywhere, on your own schedule!
CBR (also known as Comic Book Resources) is one of the longest-running online entertainment websites and a go-to source for comics industry news, discussion and community. Since being founded in 1995, CBR has amassed a readership of over 60 million users and over 75 thousand members on community forums, all of whom come to love the resources provided for a greater appreciation and investment in the comic book, superhero and geek mediums.
Our editorial team is looking for eager writers to contribute TV news content under the leadership of the Movie/TV News Lead Editor in the position of TV News Writer. The selected candidates will help source, brainstorm, produce, self-edit and publish original new content for our knowledgeable audience and have the opportunity for tremendous career growth within the organization. Please note that this role does not involve video production or scriptwriting.
Candidates should be passionate for the field of TV and preferably have an in-depth understanding of the latest, most breaking and biggest news trends. We want researchers whose fingers are firmly on the pulse of the TV world and its culture, and who know exactly where to look for its most interesting developments.
At the same time, we want seasoned content creators with proven experience writing clean, informative copy to tight deadlines and exacting editorial standards.
CBR welcomes everyone. We are striving for more representation on our site and we want to hear YOUR voice. We’re always looking for skilled and passionate writers to make an impact in the world of comics. We want the voices on our site to reflect the diversity of the community it serves.
If you think this describes you and that you belong within our geeky community of writers and editors, we would be more than happy to consider your application, regardless of prior experience! In your cover letter, please be sure to let us know the extent of your knowledge and passion and how it would apply to CBR’s content!
- Researching, writing, self-editing and posting 3-5 articles per week in CBR’s house style (following the requisite training and peer mentorship period)
- This will include fact-checking, formatting, linking and image sourcing/very basic editing (sizing, brightness, etc.)
- Pitch story ideas when none are readily available
- Exploring relevant news and social media feeds, including Instagram, Reddit, Twitter, TikTok and more, and tuning in to popular podcasts, streams and YouTube shows to enhance coverage.
- Accept and apply any/all feedback received by the editorial team
- Communicate openly and actively with the editorial team
- Cover Letter
- 2-3 sample titles you would present right now as suitable CBR news pieces (if possible)
- A passion for the content and a drive for industry growth
- Broad working knowledge of comic books and TV, namely blockbusters and major franchises (DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)
- Quick learner with strong sense of urgency
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Comfortable working in an entirely virtual environment
- Availability at peak hours and strategic weekend posting times
What CBR Has To Offer
- Open Schedule — Write as much as you like, whenever and from wherever!
- Future bonus opportunities for high contributors of quality articles
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded people to nerd out with on a daily basis
NOTE: Only applications containing a cover letter and resume will be considered. It is vital for you to utilize your cover letter to emphasize your breadth of knowledge of popular TV content just as much as niche interests. Please note that the next step in the hiring process involves a writing evaluation.
The hiring team at CBR will be back to you as soon as possible if we think you’d make a solid addition to the team.
CBR is dedicated to achieving a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves. We welcome applications from women, BIPOC professionals, persons with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.