About the job
NRDC is seeking a Strategic Communications Manager to focus on a range of energy, health and food advocacy issues. The Strategic Communications Manager will develop proactive communications plans, messaging strategy and press materials that achieve media results, support advocacy goals and promote NRDC’s experts as leaders in local, regional and national environmental policy, litigation, and advocacy space. This individual must possess a strong work ethic and commitment to NRDC’s core values and mission. S/he will identify and work with local, national and sometimes international media outlets and cultivate relationships with reporters, bloggers, editors and other media professionals to publicize and communicate NRDC’s strategic priorities. The Strategic Communications Manager will also coordinate closely with various coalitions to advance NRDC’s work.
- Manage media operations for energy-, health- and food-related issues, as assigned by the National Media Director.
- Work with legal, scientific and other advocacy program staff to develop effective message and communications strategies for a range of environmental policy goals.
- Regularly conduct targeted outreach to local, state, regional and national reporters and bloggers, develop key relationships with press and secure top tier media hits.
- Respond in real time to media inquiries on a range of issues (from TV networks and cable television to the trade press and activists-bloggers).
- Prepare and place news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other editorial products.
- Collaborate with other environment groups in joint efforts.
- Provide and implement crisis communication strategy as needed.
- Act as on the record spokesperson for NRDC as needed.
- Provide media relations coaching and training to staff and prepare NRDC experts for interviews and other public appearances.
- Minimum of 4-7 years or more of relevant experience in journalism, media relations and/or communications.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external relations.
- Excellent news writing and editing skills required, preferably involving public policy, with an emphasis on science and/or environmental issues.
- Strong organizational and project management skills essential.
- Strong relationships with major regional and national reporters and bloggers are a plus.
- Proven record of securing placements with traditional and digital media.
- Strong social media skills/understanding.
- At least 2 years supervisory experience.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media database tools, including Cision/Vocus.
- Spanish-language skills are a plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression , marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org