Full Job Description
The primary role of the Reporter is to gather news and information in multimedia formats for digital and print news products in a timely manner from various community locations.
Whether assigned to cover a beat or general assignment, the mobile reporter develops local news via tips, sources and direct assignment. Initial on-scene content should flow credible enough for direct publishing to the Web when necessary. Additional work to increase value, context and quality of the content for digital and print usage is expected to follow first content push to digital.
- Produces local news content in multiple takes and in multiple formats. This could include shooting photos and video with most stories.
- Is adept covering the news with digital tools and industry standard software in the field. This includes being familiar with digital transmissions protocols. Engages in social media and new media responsibilities as assigned.
- Produces or assists with daily breaking news coverage as well as in-depth work and special projects. Is responsible for planning and filing a news budget for days ahead, including providing an outlook for weekends and special coverage months ahead.
- Focuses on content that emphasizes what readers want to know, why they care and the effect of this issue on their lives.
- Is responsible for keeping abreast of local, state, and national news and for monitoring multiple digital and print local sources and media outlets for leads and tips.
- Is expected to cultivate sources, and provide behind-the-scenes coverage that goes beyond official actions and pronouncements. Provides fair and accurate assessments of news impact.
- Responsible for maintaining a number of administrative tasks such as time card and expense paperwork in a timely manner.
- Is responsible for having/maintaining a working cell phone (SmartPhone preferred) and care of assigned reporting tools. Is responsible for following all company policies. Must have reliable means of transportation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English and at least two to five years of experience as a reporter for a news organization, advanced computer and multimedia skills preferred.
- Must have reliable automobile and smartphone
- Must be licensed driver and carry appropriate auto insurance.