Full Job Description
WSYM , the Scripps FOX station in Lansing, MI is seeking a Sports Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) to join the team. The Sports MMJ is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple platforms with a focus on Michigan sports. WSYM strives to be the “go-to” station for local high school and college sports stories… while partnering with Scripps’ WXYZ in Detroit and WXMI in Grand Rapids to cover sports stories statewide.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Receives assignment or evaluates sports stories and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
- Gives live reports from the event site or mobile broadcast unit.
- Work cooperatively with the photographer assigned to the story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on a deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
WHAT YOU’LL HAVE:
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
- Minimum of two years of experience
- Knowledge and in-depth understanding of the sports industry.
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.