Full Job Description
Red Line Editorial is looking for a Sports Editor to join our high-energy team of publishing professionals on a six-month contract.
RLE creates high-quality books for publishers on a variety of subjects. Most of our books are nonfiction titles created for students in grades K–12, but we also work in a number of other genres.
This is a position that will give the right candidate the opportunity to work on key aspects of our editorial projects. This position requires keen attention to detail and an ability to manage an involved editorial process.
This position will have hands-on involvement in a variety of areas, including project management of assigned manuscripts, with oversight from staff editors. Duties will include developmental edits, collaboration with external authors and vendors, photo research and caption writing, some manuscript writing or rewriting, and other editorial duties as assigned. The sports editor will work on books and marketing materials. A library or education background is a plus.
This position would be a six-month contract, from April through September 2021. All work would be performed remotely during office hours until at least midsummer, and then some in-office time is possible at our Mendota Heights location.
The ideal candidate will possess at a minimum:
- A four-year degree in English, journalism, mass communication, or similar. Degrees in other humanities fields, such as history, will also be considered.
- Two years of experience working on books and/or educational materials, with experience in developmental editing
- Avid interest and knowledge of a variety of sports, including the current landscape and sports history An ability to communicate professionally and effectively with different departments, vendors, and clients
- Tremendous attention to every last detail
- Talent to handle a wide variety of tasks without sacrificing quality
- An ability to effectively handle a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn about, curriculum standards as they relate to educational books
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Adobe Acrobat, FTPs, and Google Drive
- Proficiency with the Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition and MLA
- Solid grammar skills
If you are interested, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, tell us about your favorite sports book, either one you read as a child or as an adult. No phone calls, please.
Contract term: Six months, from April through September 2021
Location: Remote until midsummer, then possibly some in-office time at our Mendota Heights location
Compensation: $18-$20/hour, DOQ