About the job
Company Overview Close Up is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, civic education organization that aims to inform, inspire, and empower young people to become active participants in our democracy. We believe a strong democracy requires engagement by all citizens. Therefore, we seek to reach youth from all communities and all backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, gender, socioeconomic level, or academic standing. Since 1971, we have partnered with schools nationwide to serve nearly one million students and educators through experiential programs in our nation’s capital and in local communities, virtual after-school and summer programs, professional development for educators, and curriculum and resource design.
Position Overview The Social Media Coordinator will join the External Affairs team and report to the Director of Communications. This person will collaborate cross-functionally to plan, develop, publish, and monitor social media content to highlight and advance Close Up’s mission and strategic priorities. The Social Media Coordinator will also be responsible for tracking and reporting on key metrics and campaigns. The ideal candidate demonstrates excellent judgment and is creative, detail-oriented, a great communicator, and enthusiastic about Close Up’s work.
This position is based in the Washington, DC, area but there is telework flexibility.
- Coordinate social media planning across multiple channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
- Create and implement strategies and tactics that increase our number of followers and audience engagement.
- Collect and analyze data and analytics and build monthly reports and recommendations.
- Maintain a social media calendar to reflect all upcoming and in-progress posts and campaigns.
- Shadow student programs to create photo and video content to share on social media.
- Coordinate with the Marketing and Design team to create optimized graphics, videos, and other multimedia content.
- Execute, monitor, and report on paid ads.
- Manage Close Up’s online reputation by monitoring news and trends in social media.
- Participate in paid field training, in which you will work directly with students on our experiential learning programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or a related field.
- At least two years of professional social media experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including the ability to write for a variety of audiences and social media platforms.
- A creative thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A deep familiarity with social media platforms, trends, and audiences.
- Experience collecting and analyzing social metrics data.
- Experience with photography and videography.
- The ability to multitask, prioritize, coordinate, and collaborate with a positive attitude.
- Willingness to sometimes work outside of normal operating hours during live events or in response to time-sensitive news and developments.
- Previous experience in education or advocacy is a plus!
- Authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination as required by company policy.
Compensation and Benefits Close Up provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes three robust medical insurance plans, dental insurance (more than 90 percent of premiums are company-paid), and vision coverage. Close Up pays 100 percent of the premiums for life/AD&D insurance and short- and long-term disability insurance, and offers flexible spending and dependent care accounts, a 403(b) retirement savings program, paid vacation/sick days/holidays, paid parental leave, a Metro subsidy or free garage parking, a free on-site gym, and a positive work environment.
If you are excited about the prospect of joining Close Up and this position sounds like a great fit, please send a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
The Close Up Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.