Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The Senior Political Producer is responsible for producing political content and working on the nightly production of “Inside City Hall.” Contribute to special political features and stories. Participate in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials. This person will be called upon to act in a supervisory role as needed.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produces “Inside City Hall”, making decisions on story lineup, video/audio elements, graphics and timing to construct show taking guidance from Political Director, Executive Producers, Assistant News Director, Assignment Manager and/or Senior Director of News
- Produces guest segments, booking guests, writing introductory scripts, and conducting research.
- Writes news content for “Inside City Hall”, ensuring content is factually correct and written in a clear and concise conversational style before submitting to Executive Producer for final newscast clearance
- Ability to produce live or recorded newscasts
- Initiates on-air protocol when breaking news decision is made
- Verifies stories are written to the pictures being edited and/or vice versa
- Works to promote political content on various social media platforms
- Follows through on all assignments meeting required deadlines according to the Executive Producer’s instructions
- Works with associate producers and Producers to create the newscast product
- Provides specifics on newscast content for Producers and Associate Producers
- Produces special programming as needed
- Assists in training new hires as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Strong broadcast news writing ability
- Strong interest and background in politics
- Ability to anticipate situations and meet strict deadlines
- Interpersonal skills and excellent collaboration skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and interact with all personnel within the organization
- Knowledge of current events and industry trends
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with the local market
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Must be able to work rapidly and accurately
- Working knowledge of general office computer software, newsroom software and basic non-linear editing systems a plus
- Basic editing skills
- Must be able and willing to work different shifts and be flexible with schedule changes
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 5 + years of television news experience
- 3 + years line producing experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation