The Senior Marketing & Communications Manager leads the marketing and communications efforts of the South Padre Island Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and oversees the development and delivery of a fully integrated media buys and marketing strategy for the CVB. This position also serves as a staff liaison, and in some instances, the lead on critical vendor relationships such as our agency of record and media partners. As marketing sits central to the organization, the Senior Marketing & Communications Manager also liaises with key staff across the organization to ensure brand consistency and leads the Marketing and Communications division of the CVB. Leveraging our brand as the guiding principle, this position works to create compelling, creative, and cutting-edge messaging, secure digital media buying on promotional platforms that drive interest and visitation to South Padre Island.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists CVB Director in implementation of an integrated organization-wide strategic marketing plan to strengthen the SPICVB brand identity across visitor, industry stakeholders, public official, and resident audiences and broaden awareness of South Padre Island as a premier, diverse destination for meetings, conventions, sporting events and tourism.
- Assists CVB Director, with the agency of record, in all paid media opportunities and collaborates with the agency PR team in all earned media opportunities.
- Coordinates any direct and digital media buys not handled through the agency.
- Acts as a liaison to vendors, contractors, and partners coordinating marketing efforts and brand consistency across all channels. Ensure all programming and deliverables are executed according to the plan and delivered with a high standard of excellence and professionalism.
- Assists in the implementation of the Marketing strategy – including campaigns, events, digital marketing, and PR.
- Evaluates potential marketing vendors and keeps up to date on the latest marketing trends, including social and digital outlets.
- Assists in partnership marketing program execution in conjunction with CVB Director.
- Produce reporting on marketing department activities, including project management status reports; agency and team productivity; and KPI’s for paid advertising, search marketing, email programs, social media, marketing analytics and website performance.
- Acts as liaison to CVB teams and ensures their marketing needs are met.
- Assists CVB Director in RFP process for any marketing related vendors.
Social Media Management Responsibilities
- Oversees all owned social media channels and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition.
- Develop, manage and implement a social media strategy.
- Regular updates on CVB social channels including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting on all social media outlets.
Public & Media Relations
- Works with the CVB Director to achieve organizational goals and objectives by administering the public affairs initiatives as determined by the greater organizational strategic planning process.
- Evaluates and recommends enhancements to an integrated strategic public relations plan to advance the SPI’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its programs and priorities in new markets, i.e., the Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, Austin and Mexico, etc.
- Work with the CVB Director to produce domestic and international public relations, content development, and social media to ensure content, messaging and brand synergy. Identify new opportunities and collaborate on cross-functional marketing and communications programs.
- Working with the City Public Information Officer, and is responsible for the creation of news release development and distribution.
- Works with the Texas Associations and Tourism Partners to host media journalists and influencers.
- Monitors all destination media coverage, maintains a database of media outlets and generates reports through a third-party vendor.
- Creates customized travel itineraries.
- Works with local partners and attractions to facilitate entry, accommodations and overall experience.
- Responsible for press kit management and request fulfillment.
- Develops, integrates and implements public relations activities designed to enhance South Padre Island’s brand.
- Cultivates and maintains strong media relations (television, media, print).
- Responds to media requests by conducting research, providing data and interviews.
- Responsible for media blitz in target markets in spring and fall.
- Researches and pitches ideas to potential publications.
- Provides follow-up support and monitors coverage.
- Maintains and strengths communication/relationship management with journalists for future coverage.
- Communicates CVB projects, messaging and community education initiatives.
- Working with the agency of record, responsible for drafting/distribution of all tourism-related news releases, Convention Centre alerts, and media advisories.
- Responsible for drafting talking points for CVB Director interviews and staff when necessary.
- Responsible for facilitating logistics of all tourism-related press conferences.
- Responsible for monitoring all media coverage and preparing monthly reports regarding coverage across all mediums, including ad value.
- Responsible for all Public Relations for all SPICVB-hosted special events.
Departmental Supervision Responsibilities
Oversees all position functions for the Marketing & Communications division of the CVB. These include, but are not restricted to the following:
- Co-develop marketing strategies that drive overnight visitation from key targeted audiences.
- Work with Marketing & Communications Specialists to create and maintain an annual content calendar and works to ensure content is created or revised accordingly.
- Create promotions and campaigns based on strategies and goals.
- Manage a digital asset library.
- Oversee the implementation and management of Island events into the CVB website event calendar.
- Planning, writing and managing e-communications.
- Providing content to include in the SPICVB website.
- Researching and fact–checking for blogs and web articles.
- Researching for economic impact reports.
- Responsible for overseeing the shooting and producing regular videos and drone videos.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists with special events (coordination of guests, media and personalities).
- Conduct performance evaluations of the Marketing & Communications Specialists.
- Create and administer request for proposals/qualifications/information to secure the best vendors.
- Provide marketing assistance for SPICVB events including signage, digital advertising and creative materials.
- Required to travel when necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Capital and/or Fiscal Responsibility
Responsible for adhering to all City of South Padre Island Purchasing Policies while performing purchasing tasks.
Credentials (minimum preferred)
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to create written communication with accurate format, grammar, completeness and clarity.
- Ability to negotiate and purchase regular/digital media.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and effectively present ideas and concepts to city staff, committees and the general public.
- Ability to explain complex concepts and procedures in simple to understand terms.
- Ability to complete complex tasks thoroughly and professionally with and without direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and stakeholders.
- Must have a firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space.
- Must demonstrate the basic principles of marketing and public relations.
- Must have the ability to successfully use a wide variety of office, graphic and marketing/communications software and computer systems.
- Knowledge of HTML, website content management a plus.
- Able to work well independently, within a team and as a supervisor.
- Must have the commitment to continuous improvement of service, quality and SPICVB productivity for its stakeholders.
- Ability to understand and manage high-profile, sensitive or controversial political situations.
- Ability and willingness to work evening and weekend hours.
College Degree in Marketing/Communications, Advertising or Public Relations or a closely related field.
Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Five (5) years previous experience in marketing or communications or any combination of equivalent education and experience, equivalency to be determined by the employer.
Bilingual: Spanish and English is preferred.
Tools and Equipment Used
Personal computer system, including word processing and specialized software; phone; copy and fax machine; postage machine; digital camera; motor vehicle; telephone; drone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. This position is required to drive a vehicle.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee will spend time driving throughout the city. The position is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. Some of the work will take place in an air controlled office environment. Some of the work will be on scene at various locations throughout the city. The noise level in the work environment is moderate but sometimes noisy during event activities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position may be required to travel at times to attend meetings, training or conferences outside the city.