About the job
Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of race and ethnicity; U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; science and society; religion and public life; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of about 170.
Pew Research Center has an immediate need for a Research Assistant to support its research about religion in the U.S. The Research Assistant will be part of the Religion & Public Life research team, which conducts and analyzes public opinion polling about the religious beliefs, practices and identities of the U.S. public and how those religious characteristics relate to social and political views. Ideal candidates will have a bachelor’s degree with a concentration in statistics or a social science field such as political science, sociology, economics. This position will report to the Associate Director of Religion research.
- The primary responsibilities for the Research Assistant will be fact-checking and proof-reading, organizing relevant polling data, and performing research and analysis as required.
- Number checking, fact-checking, proofing
- Assisting in the creation of spreadsheets for analysis and tables and charts for reports
- Assisting in the creation of PowerPoint presentations
- Assisting in topline production and simple crosstabs
- Assisting in locating and organizing other relevant polling for questionnaire development, reports, and commentaries
- Assisting with basic statistical analyses and research
- Performing background research on religious and social issues
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree is required with a concentration in the social sciences, such as political science, sociology, economics or similar field preferred.
- Basic Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of SPSS or Stata
- Attention to detail, including exacting standards to maintain accuracy in all work products
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of and interest in Religion
- Strong quantitative skills
- FLSA Status: Non-exempt
- This position will, temporarily, be fully remote and will require a functioning Internet connection. Equipment to complete the work will be mailed to candidates and will need to be returned at the end of the position. At a later date, TBD, this position will be required to return/relocate to our office in Washington, D.C.
- Although this position will work remotely, Pew Research Center can only employ candidates in the following states- California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin.
Applicant should use the link above to apply online. Please include a resume and cover letter indicating where you learned of the opening.
Pew Research Center is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Research Analyst Information Technology