The Reporter is a seasoned journalist who works in a newsroom that emphasizes breaking news, daily investigative reporting and severe weather coverage. The Reporter has ideas, digs for extra information, writes well, loves “live” and expects to win. The Reporter should also be hungry to use new technology to present stories and should be adept at using social media to gather and break stories. The reporter will also engage with viewers on social media daily and create digital content daily.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently to research and uncover stories as an investigative reporter, deciding when and where to report to work based on a shoot location or other scheduling requirements.
- Analyze and interpret information to improve the audience’s understanding.
- Report on multiple stories in a given day, often in multiple newscasts, frequently working solo.
- Cultivate and maintain news sources throughout the community.
- Contact, interview and confirm news sources for television reports.
- Use of enterprise skills to identify hard-news stories for delivery on television and the ability to consistently translate those news stories to social media.
- Contribute ideas for enterprise stories and new angles on continuing stories.
- Proven success in delivering breaking news stories to viewers and engaging audiences through the use of all facets of social media.
- Adept at the use of social media to gather and break stories.
- Experienced ability to drive the KIRO 7 brand on-air, on-line, and on social media.
- Field produce content and report stories for television.
- Maintain a professional, working relationship with all KIRO News team members.
- Alert the KIRO News Director to any news coverage that may cause problems for KIRO legally, corporately, or in the community.
- Complete specific projects as requested by the News Director or Managing Editor.
- Be consistently up-to-date on current news stories, on a local, national, and international level.
- Be conversant with newsroom computer systems (old and new) and continually contribute information to its data base.
- Be conversant with journalistic law and ethics and general FCC policies concerning broadcast.
- Daily local, some regional and additional travel is required as part of the job.
- Engage with viewers several times a day on social media; including but not limited to sharing stories, replying to viewers, and writing posts.
- Produce stories for kiro7.com on a daily basis.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Consistent demonstration of the following skills is required:
- Ability to narrate, ad-lib and add value to live breaking news and severe weather coverage.
- Ability to cover live events for all platforms, including live breaking news and station initiatives
- The ability to engage in investigative reporting that adds depth to the newscast.
- Thorough understanding of social media and demonstrated ability to move audience between all platforms.
- Curiosity that drives an understanding of current events in Seattle and beyond.
- Demonstrate consistently high proficiency with the necessary technical, writing, and presentation skills for television broadcasts.
- Strong writing and editorial skills required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- B.A Degree in Journalism, Communications, or Other discipline preferred.
- 3 years’ experience as a Reporter required.
- Experience as a Multi Media Journalist is a plus.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of journalism.
- Must be well read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, and walk.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions.