Full Job Description
This position provides creative and effective communication, marketing and public relations for the City of Clermont. Keeps the community informed of programs, events, issues and accomplishments, through the media, presentations, and print and electronic publications. Designs and prepares content for news releases, advertisements, e-newsletters, social media, and the City’s website. Maintains effective relationships with the Central Florida media, in addition to other governmental, private and civic organizations. Coordinates and participates in news conferences, special events, and other public interest programs. Performs professional and administrative work as required. Work is performed with a great amount of independence under general supervision.
This position is exempt. Fair Labor Standards Act overtime provisions will not apply.
Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and that certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled.
- Provides professional and technical assistance to City staff in the areas of public and media relations.
- Develops and coordinates public awareness campaigns and events, as well as representing the City’s interest at stakeholder meetings and various City sponsored events.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with members of the news media to promote regular, accurate and comprehensive coverage of City issues, events and programs; contacts news media representatives to disseminate information and to suggest coverage by the media of specific events, programs or topics expected to reflect positively on the City.
- Oversees the city’s website content and social media as well as other official city communications, including e-newsletters, print newsletters, and any other official print, broadcast, or online publications.
- Works with graphic designers, printers and consultants in the creation of promotional and informational materials and oversees quality-control developed by departments and individual employees.
- Gathers information for and prepares news releases, public service announcements and advertisements to disseminate City information and to otherwise facilitate a positive public image of the City; writes news and feature articles for newsletters, magazines and various other publications; writes copy for brochures, newsletters and fliers; prepares editorial content for the City’s website.
- Utilizes video for social media promotions for city events and news.
- Gathers information, photos and images to create the quarterly print newsletter. Coordinates printing and distribution.
- Gathers information, photos and images to create regular e-newsletters an email blasts to the general subscription list as well as special-interest subscription lists.
- Captures news about or of interest to the city and sends regular (usually daily) updates to the city manager, city council members and directors.
- Works with public-safety officials to inform the city manager of breaking news and then informs the council and directors as instructed by the city manager.
- Drafts speeches for City officials as requested, proofreads printed and creative materials, and assists in ensuring compliance with the City’s brand standards and style.
- Coordinates the City’s Citizen and Youth Academies and provides support to various public outreach programs as requested.
- Serves as the main contact for public and media inquiries and requests for assistance, as well as a conduit for the city manager for citizen concerns and complaints, ensuring timely response. The public information officer will work closely with the city clerk to ensure timely compliance with Freedom of Information Act and Florida statutory public-record requirements.
- Schedules, coordinates and assists in setting areas up for press conferences as requested.
- Works with the police and fire department chiefs, command staff and departmental public information officers to ensure timely, accurate news releases for breaking news and feature stories that conform to public relations industry and city style standards.
- Gives informative presentations to various City, community, civic and school groups as requested.
- Works with the city manager on preparing informative presentations to the City Council and public, including an annual State of the City.
- Researches and prepares a monthly events calendar for the back of the utility bill and coordinates accuracy with the Arts and Recreation staff and meeting deadlines with the utility billing manager.
- Responsible for reporting to the Emergency Operations Center during times of activation and serves as a public information officer during City disasters and emergencies, such as hurricanes.
- Assists the City’s recruitment efforts with the creation of recruitment videos and job postings for use through City social media sites.
- Creating marketing materials, including brochures, flyers and PowerPoint presentations, for the city manager and other departments as needed.
- Monitors traditional and social media to assess and respond to public opinion related to the City.
- Acts as the official guardian of the City’s trademarked brands and logos.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance regarding areas of responsibility.
- Performs general administrative/clerical work as necessary, including preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, and answering the telephone.
- A Attends and conducts project, committee and other meetings and conferences. Prepares and makes oral and written presentations, including presentations to the City Council.
- Attends training, seminars, and conferences as appropriate to enhance job knowledge and skills.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising, Journalism, Communications, or closely related field.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience related to assisting in the development and administration of public relations, community outreach, and communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.Valid Florida Driver’s License.
In some cases, an equivalent combination of higher education and experience may be considered, provided that the education and experience is in a relevant and related field.
Essential Physical Functions & Environmental Conditions
- Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods.
- Exerts up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis.
- Operates office equipment requiring moderate dexterity.
- Requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, and speaking abilities.