About the job
Internews is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, introduces innovative media solutions, increases coverage of vital issues and helps establish policies needed for open access to information.
Internews programmes create platforms for dialogue and enable informed debate, which bring about social and economic progress. Internews’ commitment to research and evaluation creates effective and sustainable programs, even in the most challenging environments.
Internews operates internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, and London, as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews has worked in more than 90 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people.
Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About The Role
- Internews Europe is looking for an experienced press officer with good media contacts in the UK and international media and particular expertise in the field of international development and/or healthcare, technology, and media sectors.
- We are looking for a strong and engaging writer and careful editor with the energy, connections and skill to get stories and opinion pieces into leading international media and relevant local press.
- You will create campaigns linked to our major strategic priorities of healthcare communication, internet platform accountability, and media sustainability – and strategically target communication to key press targets.
- You will write press releases, opinion pieces, reports and other materials and secure media opportunities in broadcast, online and other media for experts within the organisation.
- You will report directly to the CEO of Internews Europe, with a dotted line to the vice president of external affairs and will be expected to work as part of an international team and with communications colleagues based in the United States and elsewhere.
- Regularly scan media landscape for opportunities to share Internews’ expertise on topics related to international development, media sustainability, the role of local news organisations, internet platform accountability and healthcare information, among others.
- Research new outlets that target specific audiences to publish Internews stories
- Build on your current network of media contacts
- Propose ideas for opinion pieces and stories, write and edit such articles and get these published in target publications as well as on the Internews website
- Propose ideas for broadcast and other media opportunities for experts within the Internews alliance
- Build on your existing network of journalists by developing relationships with staff writers and editors to reach new audiences
Essential Skills And Attributes
- At least five years’ journalism or media relations experience, including editing
- Network of media contacts, including at leading international publications
- Impeccable writing skills and the nose for a ‘good story’
- Eagle-eyed attention to detail and factual accuracy
- Ability to work with a small team, initially remotely
- Ability to spot media opportunities and execute delivery at high speed
- Ability to work flexibly across a number of time zones
Desirable skills and attributes
Knowledge of the media and information development sector and/or healthcare and tech beats
Location: Central London (initially remote)
Duration: 12-month fixed-term contract
Commencing: February 2021
Line Manager: Chief executive officer, Internews Europe
Department: Executive Office
Term & LOE: Full-time; 100 per cent
Salary Range: £34,088 – £39,769 (C1-C3)
Closing date for applications: 03 February 2021
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than two pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must be able to demonstrate their right to work in the UK.