Full Job Description
Date: Mar 26, 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ, US, 85004
Company: Associated Press
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world’s population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a text editor to join its U.S. West regional editing desk as a newsperson, based in Phoenix, Arizona.
Reporting to a deputy regional news director, this text editor will edit breaking news coverage as part of a dynamic, 24/7 operation that works closely with news managers and journalists across the U.S. West region to ensure AP content is accurate, fast, distinctive and packaged creatively for audiences around the world. Editors ensure that urgent news is published quickly, while keeping an eye toward developing the story throughout the news cycle and beyond. This newsperson may also be called on to help report spot stories from the desk in breaking news situations. The position also will be expected to create eye-catching social promotion, find and verify important user-generated content and use digital tools to present stories in unique ways. This newsperson will must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- assist reporters and producers create and deliver compelling work on deadline and produce enterprise that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must be an excellent text editor who is excited by the process of guiding spot news and enterprise stories to publication. Applicants must be able to help reporters and producers explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, guide reporters and news editors during the reporting, writing and presentation process, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. Applicants must be able to work with colleagues in remote locations, and the ability to reorder priorities quickly. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team and should have at least one year of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk. Recent college graduates with comparable academic experience will also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story line.
Application Deadline: April 26, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EST
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.