About the job
WHIO-TV is looking for a passionate, energetic, curious and experienced Reporter to join the #1 ranked CBS affiliate in America and the home of the nation’s highest-rated newscasts!
WHIO-TV is the dominant #1 station in our market. WHIO-TV is focused on gathering and delivering news with value in innovative ways. WHIO-TV is committed to accuracy, fairness, and trust. We focus on weather, breaking news, investigative and impactful news that matters.
We are looking for a skilled Reporter and writer who knows how to pitch stories with value, who understands “human experience” and process reporting, who can ask the tough questions, and who can deliver their report with an authentic, active, demonstrative live shot. The candidate should possess a keen sense of curiosity, the ability to use public records to delivery facts and accuracy, and the ability to communication skills to command the interview—whether it’s the person on the street, or a high-level public official. The Reporter must work well as team with their photographer, and if you have photography skills yourself, that’s a plus! The Reporter is responsible for both the on-air and online content of their story. You’ll be joining an award-winning, experienced team of journalists, working in our state-of-the-art; 52,000 square foot newsroom with a fleet of drones, Live U packs, live trucks, a Storm Tracker 7 vehicle and satellite truck.
- Display urgency, tenacity and passion to get the best, most complete content quickly into the digital space and on tv by deadline.
- Create breaking news content effectively and communicate to managers as soon as a story is confirmed, and update weather content when weather conditions warrant.
- Generate clean, concise content that is balanced and unbiased, complete, in-depth, and dependable, incorporating, where appropriate, a diverse range of sources. Content should not contain errors of fact or judgment.
- Demonstrate the ability to enterprise original stories, with unique voices and content that drives newscast viewing; demonstrate the ability to develop sources and work a beat
- Use strong interviewing skills and demonstrate voice and/or script-writing skills by providing live and/or recorded content for use on radio.
- Demonstrate social media savvy and use technology to file content remotely.
- Are flexible in scheduling because of the changing needs of news events, including working overtime, overnights, or weekends; and being on call, and handle other assignments as needed.
- Ability to focus on the value in a story, to be authentic in your delivery, to present your story live, and the ability to obtain “real people” interviews and perspectives in your stories
- Strong writing skills, grammar, spelling, fact-checking, attribution
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude, and the ability to work with a team
- Must be able to take direction and feedback from supervisors to help grow your skill set
- Fill-in anchor weekend newscasts as requested by supervisor
What we look for
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and 2-3 years of professional television reporting experience.
- Valid driver’s license and clear driving record
- Additional Responsibilities And Qualifications
- Pleasant-speaking voice with clear articulation, proper grammar
- Experience with Avid I-news, editing preferred
- Experience with HD video camera, tripod use, cell phone skills