About the job
The Bristol Herald Courier, an award-winning daily newspaper on the border of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee, has an immediate opening for a full-time, enterprising city government/data projects reporter. We are seeking an energetic, curious and enthusiastic self-starter with a passion for community journalism. He or she will cover all aspects of government and life, from politics to business, education and feature stories, on the Tennessee side of the city and tackle data-driven projects. Some police/general assignment reporting will be included.
The reporter will write compelling, timely and well-sourced stories and tell stories on multiple platforms, from photos to video, podcasts and social media, and post breaking stories to our website. Organizational, time management skills and the ability to work on deadline and with a team are a must.
Essential Job Functions
- Write compelling, timely and well sourced stories that accurately reflect the nature of the community or beat they cover.
- This should be a combination of daily stories and projects undertaken in conjunction with a supervisor.
- Ensure that photo and graphics assignments are filed early in the information gathering process and that presentation elements are considered for each story.
- Write and post breaking news for websites. Undertake any project or story assigned by their supervisor.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Must be able to make deadline decisions under pressure.
- Must be able to prioritize stories and undertake the most important.
- Must exhibit excellent news judgment and be able to determine the best sources for each story.
- Must be able to budget time in an efficient manner.