About the job
Univision Local Media WXTV New York is looking for a News Reporter. This person will be responsible for investigating, producing and presenting accurate, balanced news stories for TV, digital and social media assets. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: daily newsgathering, and reporting as well as appearances at community and station events in a fast-paced, extremely competitive market. This role is represented by IBEW
- Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and present news or weather-related reports for TV, station’s social media pages, other company broadcasts, websites and printed publications as assigned.
- Write and proofread copy for accuracy prior to going on air.
- Ability to think on your feet during live shots and great story telling skills.
- Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and report daily news packages, special news series or weather-related stories on tape and/or live from the field.
- Establish a good working-relationship with newscast producers and co-anchors to ensure a well-paced, accurate and informative broadcast.
- Must be a strong and fast writer and have solid news judgment.
- Attend and participate in off-site company-sponsored and community events as assigned by station management.
- Work flexible hours, including holidays, weekends and evenings.
- Knowledge of public records laws and computer assisted reporting.
- Knowledge of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Must be able to handle deadlines and pressure well.
- Strong knowledge of social networking regarding content gathering and distribution.
Required Skills & Experience
- Previous broadcast news experience as reporter, producer, assignment desk or photographer/editor experience and working knowledge of television news photography and technology
- Excellent verbal and written English and Spanish communication skills
- Personal computer experience required, including non-linear editing equipment
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communication Studies, Radio-TV-Film, or equivalent experience
- Must have and maintain a good driving record and a valid driver’s license, along with the ability to drive daily
- Must be able to multi-task, work well under extreme pressure, and communicate effectively
- Prior experience in Spanish language broadcasting
- Preferred: Knowledge of the New York market and local contacts
- This is a union role represented by SAG-AFTRA
- Must be willing to work from the field in the NY Metro area
- Employment/education will be verified
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.