About the job
KMTV, the CBS affiliate in Omaha, NE, is looking for a top-notch experienced multimedia journalist. If you are a newsroom leader looking for a challenging opportunity, then this is the place for you to create, lead and organize content for multiple platforms utilizing strong editorial, journalistic, organizational and communication skills. We are looking for the best of the best!
OUR TEAM: We have hikers, rock climbers, mountain bikers, kayakers, runners, skiers, surfers, gamers, musicians, actors, swimmers and every other mixture of diversity you can think of – we are a community of welcoming, mission focused and lively people that continue to grow as we grow our company and rise to our full potential in every aspect of our business.
What You’ll Do
- Receives assignments or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material determines slant or emphasis and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism or related degree or equivalent years of experience
- Minimum of two years of experience
What You’ll Bring
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
- Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.