About the job
WSYM, The E.W. Scripps Company FOX affiliate in Lansing, Michigan is looking for an aggressive Multimedia Journalist/News Producer to join our team.
If you want to tell stories with integrity, live the principles of journalism, make our communities stronger, and the world around us better, come join us at WSYM, where Scripps is continuing to create the future of our industry with a focus on local community. This is truly a groundbreaking operation that can put you at the front of where news is headed.
The MMJ/News Producer is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple platforms.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Gathers and verifies factual information for stories through interviews, observation and research.
- Generates creative story ideas daily based on the station’s brand and strategic plan.
- Writes, edits and organizes stories for live reports, taped interviews or online.
- Works cooperatively with photographer on assignment.
- Shoots and edits video to post stories on multimedia platforms.
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
- Report, write, capture quality visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Bachelors degree in broadcast journalism preferred or related degree or equivalent years of experience.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems
- Videography and non-linear editing experience
- Edit video on various editing systems
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills
- Proficient at posting content to various platforms
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Employees work outdoors and may not be protected from weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
HOW WE KEEP YOU SAFE:
Consistent with our commitment to maintain a safe workplace free of known hazards, all employees and visitors are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We also may require staying up to date on booster shots in the future based on Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and manufacturer recommendations. If you are hired, we will require you to verify that you are fully COVID-19 vaccinated by your start date, unless approved for a medical or religious exemption by Scripps in writing or any other exemptions available under applicable law. This requirement currently excludes positions located in Florida, Montana, and Tennessee due to state law; however we are monitoring developments related to OSHA requirements which may supersede state law in the future.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com .
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.