About the job
Are you a multi-skilled journalist looking to make the jump from news to communications? Do you have solid news judgment and editorial skills, but want more work-life balance (no more holidays or weekends!), the ability to work from home and the chance to tell the stories of major brands across the country? If this sounds like you, we’d love to meet you.
MediaSource is a communications agency that specializes in video production, public relations, social media and strategic insights. Our team of seasoned storytellers and cutting-edge multimedia experts strategically develop, produce and distribute high-impact content for our clients. We’re looking for a Multimedia Brand Journalist to round out our award-winning Creative team.
What You Will Be Responsible For:
- Develop and produce multimedia news content that has wide national appeal and strategic messaging to reach client goals.
- Interpret technical and academic materials, identify valuable information and convey it in a consumer-friendly way.
- Write health-focused content including press releases, TV news-style scripts, web content, photo captions/headlines and social media posts.
- Operate primarily paired with another staff member to interview subject matter experts and/or shoot news-style, sequenced footage. This may, in rare occasions, be as a “one-man-band” reporter/videographer.
- Support creative story development to determine people, visuals and information to best tell each story.
- Contribute to the creative development and execution on projects from conception to completion based on client goals and expectations.
- Demonstrate independence in a variety of production roles including producer, news videographer, writer and video editor.
- Identify any issues within the creative process and proactively work to develop/present solutions.
- Embody a creative futurist by monitoring and analyzing content trends changes in the news industry and recommending new ways to tell creative stories.
- Edit news-focused multimedia content or other client projects using the Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
- Lead other aspects of moving projects forward, including preparation for and leading internal brainstorms and/or client meetings and working with other producers/ directors to create stories with purpose.
2+ years of broadcast journalism experience at a news station, production company and/or agency environment that is project-driven. Must have proven creative and technical skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, video or film production, communications or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud software (Premiere and Photoshop are required, Adobe After Effects preferred).
- Experience using, operating and troubleshooting a wide range of video production equipment is required, Canon and Sony products are preferred.
- Experience with Apple computers and software is required.
Who You Are:
- You are a highly creative and enterprising individual with the ability to conceptualize and visually tell news stories.
- You are organized, nimble, have stellar communication skills and are confident in taking charge of projects.
- You have excellent grammar and execution of writing using AP Style Guide.
- You are a nerd at heart and have a passion for understanding industry trends related to the news.
- You are a news junky and keep up on current affairs and daily news.
- You’re an authentic person who thrives in a collaborative environment with an anything-is-possible attitude.
- You are a quick learner and a self-starter with the ability to be assigned tasks and complete them independently.
- You are able to meet tight deadlines and self-manage priorities and assignments without sacrificing quality of work.
- You are proactive in your growth and development and lead by example.
- A remote-friendly work environment that allows our employees to work from anywhere so long as their work for the day does not require in-person collaboration.
- Company headquarters with a multimedia studio for in-person creative collaboration.
- Paid time off (PTO) starting at 3 weeks for new employees – from day one – and grows larger as milestones are met at the agency.
- 12.5 holidays off with pay, allowing our team time to relax and travel.
- Eight weeks of paid family leave following the birth or adoption of the child.
- Paid time off to volunteer with a charitable organization of your choice.
- 100% 401K match for the first 3% you contribute, plus 50% match of the next 2%.
- A comprehensive health plan with HSA.
- Free access to a financial planner.
- We are a values-driven agency:
- We are curious and recognize the power of original ideas.
- We are inclusive and respectful to all.
- We believe that the best work comes from individuals who have an optimal balance of satisfaction from work and from life outside work.
- We are nimble and view change as an opportunity to grow.
- We are passionate and love the work we do.
- We act on purpose and with purpose simultaneously.
Location: MediaSource is located in Columbus, Ohio. This position is a hybrid role that includes on-location shoots in Central Ohio combined with working from home and in the office as needed.
It is a company policy that all employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of their vaccination status. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for employees requesting exemptions.
MediaSource is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt employee
Travel: Less than 30% will be required for occasional in-person meetings or/and conducting shoots on-location.
Reports To: Creative Director
Direct Reports: None