Full Job Description
Comporium is a diversified communications company providing a Quintuple Play of five services – voice, video, data, wireless and security – at the retail level; as well as, providing security monitoring and media services for its industry customers. Under this concept, the Comporium Group is uniquely positioned to offer customers a one-stop-shopping for all their communications needs.
A versatile team player who must work closely with all segments of the newsroom. Generate story ideas, shoot, write, edit and report factual and compelling television stories. Specifically, a heavy lean towards sports. Build contacts in community. Public image is a major portion of the job, as is a positive and pleasant attitude. The Sports reporter is responsible for keeping up to date on all the sporting events in the area as well as National trending sports stories that can generate local sports stories/ideas.
- Research stories and make multiple strong pitches daily. Set-up interviews and schedule daily activities. Must have sound news /sports judgment and the ability to generate multiple story ideas and turn them the same day. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as events happen.
- Must be able to shoot and edit with speed, efficiency and creativity. Coordinate with Producer to make sure stories are put together in an interesting and informative way – within time constraints. Cover news when it happens under deadlines. Communicate clearly both through the written story / and in person.
- Write strong scripts and have a strong on camera presence. Deliver memorable local stories. Work with all segments of the newsroom, including web content (Twitter/Facebook/Website).
- Work with production crew when needed during newscast taping. Community involvement also is encouraged including public appearances like parades and possible emceeing opportunities etc.
- Travel to and from stories in an effective and efficient manner daily while adhering to all safety policies.
- 4-year degree – Journalism/Communications or related field preferred
- 1-2 Years of Experience or more – sports experience preferred
- Must be a creative writer with an understanding of what makes a good TV news story. Must get along with others even under the pressures of working on a “deadline”. Comfortable with public speaking, be a strong-fast writer, comfortable on computers, and have great time management skills.
- Must be able to balance a 40-hour work week (that often will include a Saturday shoot) with daily clear communication with news managers.
- Valid Driver’s License
We firmly believe that our company is only as good as the people we employ. Join a company that values its employees and rewards them for a job well done!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Contractor