Develops/produces publications and/or documents with a medical or health care focus, including acquiring, writing, and editing material. Oversees production and art development. Coordinates work with personnel, including proof readers, illustrators/artists, graphic designers, authors, freelancers, and photographers. Works with vendors as needed.
For more information about the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, please visit: https://www.ccjm.org/.
- Develops/produces publications and/or documents with a medical or health care focus, including acquiring, writing, and editing material.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations in the development and processing of publications and/or documents with the direct responsibility for managing the editorial and production resources needed to produce material consistent with Cleveland Clinic’s objectives and image.
- Edits, writes, rewrites, copy edits, and proofs articles.
- Serves as coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
- Shapes article structure, organization, and tone; decides what and how information is presented in both text and graphics; ensures correct style usage and clarity.
- Ensures that English and scientific usage rules are used consistently within publications and documents.
- Averts processing problems.
- Tracks all components and keeps them moving forward smoothly, on schedule.
- Chief coordinator between the “editorial side” (words and pictures) and the “production side” (page design and makeup, graphics, desktop publishing, printing).
- Maintains established quality/quantity standards.
- Coordinates work with personnel, including proof readers, illustrators/artists, graphic designers, authors, freelancers, and photographers.
- Serves as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Life Sciences or a related field.
- None required.
Complexity of Work:
Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
Five years’ experience in progressively responsible editorial positions in a publishing or information-development setting with a target audience of physicians, other health care professionals, or consumers of medical and health care-related information.
- Requires extensive standing and walking to various locations on campus.
- Requires dexterity sufficient to operate a personal computer (PC) in the course of work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Keywords: managing editor, editor, writer, medical editor, medical publishing
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic’s Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities