The Island Packet in beautiful Hilton Head, S.C., seeks a smart, energetic journalist to discover and cover breaking news across the county.
- Find great stories that are fast-moving and highly readable.
- Use social media platforms to help distribute and highlight work
- Use SEO smartly and strategically; understanding other audience growth processes
- Understand and use audience metrics to help increase readership
- Write quickly and often.
- Shoot photos and video when needed.
- Skillfully use content management systems
- Use data and research to inform reporting
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting to audiences on all platforms
- A deep curiosity and high energy
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and engagingly on a wide variety of topics.
- A collaborative work ethic and the ability to communicate easily with people around the office and across the company
- Proficient knowledge of technology including content management systems and storytelling tools
- Ability to quickly and accurately research and verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video.
- College degree required.
Applications should include a cover letter, references, and links to writing samples. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.