About the job
Who We Are:
It all starts with purpose.
We are a purpose-driven nonprofit with a dynamic staff culture.
With a meaningful purpose, motivated staff, and excellent benefits, working here will definitely have you smiling! The ADA’s headquarters is located just steps from Chicago’s Magnificent Mile and close to public transportation. With more than 400 colleagues, the ADA Staff are some of the most talented people in the Chicago, Washington D.C., and Maryland area.
We were named a Top Workplace by the Chicago Tribune in 2019 and 2021! Come join our team!
The Manager, Science and Research Communications leads science writing, omnichannel content creation, and proactive media outreach to translate complex research into compelling stories for public and professional audiences to increase public awareness of scientific advances that improve oral health. By applying existing and evolving industry best practices, the manager increases coverage of research while positioning the ADA as a leader in the creation and publication of cutting-edge research. Focus areas include research published in peer-reviewed journals, including The Journal of the American Dental Association and JADA: Foundational Science; research conducted by the ADA Science & Research Institute and ADA Health Policy Institute; and additional research collaborations between the ADA and other entities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or Communications
- 5 years of experience in/with media relations, public affairs, communications, or related field
- 3-5 years of writing press materials and communications materials for a variety of audiences
- A strong track record of media placement, working directly with subject matter experts, executive level management, and reporters, and developing and executing tactical communications plans
- Excellent writing, editing, speaking, analytical, collaborative, project management, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of media relations, traditional and digital communications
- Experience with content management, media, and social media distribution, Google Scholar
- Ability to translate complex topics in science and technology into easily understandable language
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment, work well under pressure, collaborate with cross-divisional teams and external organizations
- Ability to write for the news media, public, dental profession, and allied health professionals, research, strategize, and translate technical messages, issues and policy into plain language
- Ability to translate complex, scientific topics into compelling, plain language stories to media and public audiences is essential
- Experience understanding content development and delivery, identifying insights, and utilizing paid, earned and owned media channels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- May be required to travel several times a year for ADA meetings, conferences and media trainings
Nice to Have:
- Experience in science, healthcare, technical or journal communications
- Strong science writing experience
- Strong working knowledge of promoting clinical and research programs
- Established relationships with healthcare and science reporters in print, digital, and broadcast
- Social monitoring and listening software (e.g., Newswise, Cision or Meltwater, Sprout)
- A candidate with a degree in an applicable field of science in addition to a degree in communications is highly desirable
Just a few of the benefits offered to employees:
- Promotes Work/Life Balance
- Hybrid Work Schedule (2-3 days from home)
- Health insurance/ dental reimbursement plan
- Ample Paid time off
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid Parental Leave
- Pet Insurance
- Student Loan Refinance
- 2 days off to work at a charity event of your choice
The American Dental Association is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. The American Dental Association is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]