Full Job Description
NJ Cannabis Insider is looking for an experienced journalist to lead our coverage of the state’s multibillion-dollar cannabis, hemp and cannabinoid industries. Our established, subscription- based audience is comprised of C-Suite influencers, industry group leaders, lobbyists, politicians and political influencers, legal and security experts, banking and medical experts, and business owners.
This position requires someone who can write and speak fluently about the cannabis space — from plant science, politics and regulatory issues to social justice and economic empowerment concerns — for our growing digital weekly trade vertical and our live event audiences.
The ideal candidate has an ability to juggle narratives, break news, write trend and analysis pieces then turn around and assemble panels of industry experts and moderate monthly live events, whether at a meetup, an all-day multi-panel conference, or a webinar on Zoom.
As the face of the operation, the ideal candidate will be adept at using social media to take the pulse of the industry and lead in conversations, whether it’s in a closed Facebook Group, a
Twitter thread, a LinkedIn networking hangout, or fielding subscriber questions on our text messaging service.
This multitasker will report to and work closely with NJ Cannabis Insider’s publisher & editor, setting the content and programming agenda, while also helping to create the weekly product.
The position requires someone who thrives on taking creative chances and finding innovative ways to cover this budding industry.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- News chops. You have a nose for news with a healthy drive to be the first to write about the most pressing issues in the cannabis space.
- You know people: Your contacts app is filled with a diverse lineup of power players. You know who’s who in the industry and why your audience should know them too.
- Highest standards: You take pride in the importance of accuracy and precision to produce exceptional products (news stories, newsletters, events).
- Business and policy: You know your way around legislative proposals and lobbyist efforts, as well as how to identify relevant business stories that most affect the New
Diversity matters: You ensure your content reflects the makeup of your audience and
New Jersey’s population.
- Team player: You have an ethical and inclusive approach in the workplace, promoting positive collaboration. You’re unafraid to step in when help is needed.
- Public speaker: You enjoy live interviews, moderating lively discussions at industry events and networking with folks eager to hear from you.
- Growth-minded: You understand we’re a for-profit, mission-driven organization that cares about the quality of our products as much as the bottom line.
- Emotional intelligence, cultural competency, wit and a sense of humor
- With the publisher/editor, help plan overall focus and coverage of written content and monthly events based on established audience and subscriber needs.
- File at least two stories and one industry roundup of about 600 words per week. Solicit, edit and file weekly guest columns by industry experts.
- Assist with production tasks (some editing, proofreading, etc.) to publish each week’s issue on time.
- Help plan and host monthly events, working with colleagues from various departments
(Events, News, Social Media, Marketing, Video).
Grow and retain our audience through content, social media, events and other networking tools.
Attend local and out-of-town industry meetings/conferences and business-related social functions (once the pandemic clears).
Required education, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Minimum five years’ journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing required
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to source and promote content a plus
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates from competitors
NJ Cannabis Insider is a weekly subscriber-based vertical produced by NJ Advance Media, which also publishes NJ.com, The Star-Ledger and other affiliated newspapers. An established company vertical since launching in 2018, NJ Cannabis Insider produces small- and large-scale in-person and online forums as an extension of its premium trade report.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton,
PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County
Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the
United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration,
Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $0.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
8 hour shift
Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place