Full Job Description
- Write 100+ short form news alerts per day (typically between 35 to 55 words)
- Own factual accuracy as well as adherence to Ring’s reporting guidelines for all alerts reported
- Collaborate with team members to ensure unique alerts are being reported in real time
- Report crucial details and helpful information in cases of emergencies (such as earthquakes and wildfires)
- Work flexible shifts including early mornings, nights, and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or equivalent professional experience
- 2+ years of experience with breaking news and/or crime and safety information reporting
- The Jr. News Editor will work on an exciting opportunity within Ring to curate and edit useful news alerts from verified sources for delivery to the Neighbors App. This position is best suited for a candidate with experience and passion for journalism, content curation, and safety reporting.
- The right candidate will be able to balance both depth and speed in daily reporting that covers everything from road closures to major hurricanes. The candidate should be eager to join a dynamic team that is rapidly evolving and growing.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
- Experience with a variety of news gathering tactics, including risk reporting agencies, verified social media accounts, and public safety systems.
- Ability to sift through high volume of possible news alerts and determine which ones can be useful based on a set of guidelines
- Familiarity with following a style guide for consistency in writing/editing
- Familiarity with working with CMS and admin panels to publish stories
- Demonstrate a positive, can-do, go-the-extra-mile attitude
- Ability to potentially work weekends, as well as other morning and night shifts (as well as occasional holiday hours)
- Eager and able to learn new things and stay on top of current digital media trends
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment
- Comfortable multitasking on a variety of projects
- Are self-starters and detail-oriented
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Fluent in written Spanish
- About Ring
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the video doorbell, to Ring Alarm, which was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction for DIY Home Security Systems by J.D. Power, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone — while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.