Full Job Description
The Investigative Producer is responsible for enterprising, reporting and developing investigative stories and special reports. This is a chance to join an award-winning investigative team in a highly competitive top 15 market. You will be expected to chase leads and develop stories that generate change and hold people accountable. Some stories will take days to report. Others may take months. You must be willing to bury your head in a stack of papers and emerge with a unique story built around compelling, diverse sources. Our goal is to break down complex subject matters into captivating narratives so viewers can understand how it impacts their daily lives, and more importantly, why they should care.
- Working with the Executive Producer of Investigations, the Investigative Producer will be involved in the development, research, scheduling and reporting of short and long form investigative reports as part of the award winning investigative team of 5 Eyewitness News.
- Must be able to develop sources, analyze data and write clearly and concisely for broadcast and online formats.
- The investigative producer will work in close collaboration with investigative reporters, photojournalists and the executive producer on long-form stories that focus on government accountability and transparency.
- Consults news director, executive producer and/or assistant news director on difficult editorial issues.
- Ability to travel in and out of state for daily and overnight assignments.
- Must work well work well in a crisis or during breaking news and be able to handle last minute and unexpected changes on deadline.
- Must be a team player who is willing to take on any task no matter how big or small when needed.
- While candidates should be fully capable of working independently with little supervision, you should thrive in a team setting.
- We are looking for a person who loves to “spitball” story ideas and collaborate on big, unconventional projects.
- Comes prepared to meetings and interacts professionally with others.
- Contributes story ideas on a daily basis. Is knowledgeable of local, national and world events.
- Has a handle on what is going on in the community.
- Consults with news director, executive producer and/or assistant news director on difficult editorial issues.
- May travel but only on a very limited basis and in special circumstances.
- Works established schedule.
- Experience in producing investigative journalism.
- Work inside a television newsroom is a must.
- Excellent organization and writing skills including grammar, spelling and experienced in broadcast and AP style.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism or communications.
- Ideal candidates will have knowledge of local and state government entities in the Twin Cities market, can navigate state and federal court systems and have a solid understanding of data practices laws.
- Additional experience in building, maintaining and cleaning large data sets will be given special consideration.
KSTP 5 Eyewitness News is the award-winning ABC network affiliate for the Twin Cities. Part of Hubbard Broadcasting, KSTP-TV is a longtime market leader, and is committed to excellence in all that it does-broadcast news with hyper-local coverage, important public service that deals powerfully with today’s issues, and now, more than ever, top-notch digital content, to reach our viewers and followers with information the way they want to receive it. When you work for KSTP, or our other local, independently operated station KSTC, Channel 45, you will find yourself among dedicated, passionate people who work hard every day to improve our product and our community. If you have the qualifications, and you are a person of talent and integrity, we invite you to apply!