About the job
Our Mission – Iowa PBS educates, informs, enriches and inspires Iowans.
WHY Iowa PBS!
Iowa PBS is Iowa’s statewide public broadcasting network. Approximately 100 full and part-time employees work at Iowa PBS serving our audiences with local programs, broadcast services, and education and outreach initiatives that contribute to our mission. Our organization is made strong by highly-qualified, diverse and talented staff members who are vital to Iowa PBS’s future. Working at Iowa PBS will provide you the opportunity for robust career development. We consider the employees at Iowa PBS to be our most valuable resource.
Iowa PBS is seeking qualified applicants for a Graphic Designer (Production Assistant) position. This creative position designs, organizes, oversees, constructs and creates graphic displays and visual assets for multi-platform content including broadcast, print, digital, social and event collateral in a team environment.
- Responsible for design and development of graphic materials to support multi-platform related services within the Iowa PBS brand and visual system. Includes on-air, digital, print, social media, event collateral and all other visual support assets as requested.
- Design and develop monthly multi-page print pieces with companion multi-platform assets that support the mission of obtaining new members and retaining current members.
- Provide guidance on graphic layout, design, and production support during the creation of marketing and brand collateral.
- Works collaboratively with team members across departments including emerging media, production, education, foundation and engineering to plan, design and develop the network’s brand(s) for the promotion of projects/initiatives and major events (examples: Iowa State Fair, Make It! workshops, pledge) to ensure station and project brand elements are cohesive across all departments and platforms.
- Creatively performs other duties as assigned to ensure the goals of Iowa PBS are obtained. Serves as backup to other graphic artists and members of the communications team. Provides recommendations on relevant design applications and within the budgeted allocation.
- Maintain working knowledge of trends in graphic design, processes, products, digital media, tools and resources.
- Thorough knowledge of print, web, and digital production processes.
- This position offers a hybrid work environment and flexible schedule.
Applicant must have excellent interpersonal skills; effective communication skills; strong time management skills; knowledge of the principles, techniques and tools of multi-platform campaign design; hands-on skills for creating physical scenic and engaging event design assets; in-depth knowledge of layout, composition, color usage and typography across platforms. Applicant must have proven ability to plan and direct art projects and be proficient in the following design tools: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Express, Lightroom and Google Workspace. Eagerness to learn new skills, products and tools as available.
Applicants must submit a portfolio link of recent work alongside the application.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major coursework in: broadcast journalism; mass communication; film; or art and graphics which included a course in television graphics or scenic design;
a combination of education and experience, substituting one year of professional-level work experience in television production for thirty semester hours of the required education to a maximum substitution of four years.