About the job
Altice USA (NYSE: ATUS) is cutting-edge communication, media, and tech company. We connect people to what matters most to them; texting with friends, advertising that resonates, or binge-watching their favorite show. Our differentiated approach centers around technologies that push the envelope and deliver the ultimate customer experience. We’re building a workforce that attracts and retains the best talent, not only to meet the needs of our customers, but that also reflects the diverse communities we serve. We’re not the only ones who have seen it; we’ve recently been recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers as well as by the Human Rights Campaign, DiversityInc Magazine, and Cablefax for our diversity & inclusion program.
News 12 Networks is the first, largest and most watched 24-hour local television news network in the country, with seven individual local news channels and five traffic and weather channels serving Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Hudson Valley, the Bronx, and Brooklyn.
News 12 is looking for a Freelance Reporter/Multimedia Journalist to generate story ideas, gather information, and produce and present stories and other content for all platforms including social media. The candidate must have the ability to independently shoot, write and edit clear, relevant and meaningful news stories. They must also have the ability to operate the assigned news gathering gear and ensure all content meets News 12 Network standards for journalistic integrity and production quality. The ideal candidate will develop sources, maintain contacts and pursue leads that result in original stories. Gather information, video content, interviews, and other elements necessary to produce thorough, high-quality news reports. Maintain a deep level of familiarity with hyper-local news events in order to generate original stories. Represent News 12 positively in the community in a courteous and professional manner. Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned. Respond to breaking news and other urgent newsroom situations as required. The freelance position is on-call as needed with fluctuating hours. Candidates must have a flexible schedule and be available to work various shifts with short notice at times.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications preferred, Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum one year full-time professional news reporting experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently in a one man band, backpack, multimedia environment.
- Ability to edit on non-linear systems i.e. Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier.
- Highly effective on-air performance.
- Extensive knowledge of local and national current events, newsmakers, and issues.
- Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism.
- Ability to conduct in-depth research and pursue investigative stories effectively.
- Excellent news writing ability for all platforms including social media.
- Maintain professional personal appearance as defined by News 12 management.
- Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high pressure situations.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Ability to lift, carry and maneuver up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work inside a climate controlled office/studio environment and outside in all weather conditions including extremes in hot and cold temperature, wet or humid conditions.
- Flexibility to work any assigned shift with ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; or longer shifts due to “breaking news”.
- Altice USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Altice USA, Inc. collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.